Farm Crew Two Farmers Farm
- Date Posted April 16, 2017
- Location Scarborough, ME
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Two Farmers Farm is a certified Organic four-season vegetable farm located on a historic farmstead in Scarborough, Maine. We’re a small team of hardworking farmers using high-production systems, mechanization, and season-extension to grow over 30 different crops for local farmers' markets, grocers, chefs and distributors.We strive to exemplify the potential for farmers to maintain a high quality of life while achieving excellent land stewardship, equitably supporting our employees, preserving rural heritage, and furthering the movement for a more sustainable food system. Job Description
We have an immediate opening for a Farm Crew member! Ideal candidate will be able to start work before May 22.
Who we are: Our team is made up of owners Kelsey and Dominic, 2-3 full-time crew members, and 2+ part-time workers.
Job description: Farm Crew members are highly skilled workers who carry real responsibility and are actively engaged in improving the farm. Crew members participate in most aspects of sowing, planting, growing, harvesting, and packing produce. Crew members also help with day-to-day farm upkeep such as mowing, crate washing, and handling OMRI-approved substances. Some crew members also work at our farmers’ market stands and/or deliver to our wholesale accounts.
During the summer, harvesting is a top priority for the farm crew. We harvest vegetables on most days, with Tuesdays and Fridays being the busiest days as we prep for our Wednesday and Saturday farmers’ markets and deliveries. Nearly all of this work is done by hand.
Kelsey & Dominic are the owners and day-to-day managers of the farm. They develop daily work plans for the crew, oversee all aspects of the farm, and often work alongside the farm crew.
Crew members will also work independently. Successful crew members are assertive communicators, comfortable asking questions, and receptive to feedback. Crew members take on more responsibility based on skills development and level of commitment to the farm.
New farm crew members are hired as seasonal workers, with an end date right before Thanksgiving. Year-round employment is possible, and will be offered to the right candidates.
Schedule: We strive to maintain a reasonable and consistent work schedule that averages 40 hours/week year-round.
From May through October we work 7am-5pm M-F; hours reduce to 24-40 hours/week during the rest of the year.
Please refer to our Farm Crew Handbook for the complete 2017 schedule.
- No farming experience required
- Outdoor physical labor experience is strongly preferred.
- Must commit to working until Thanksgiving 2017. Year-round employment is available to the right candidate.
- Must be able to accommodate the seasonally-adjusted schedule, outlined in the Farm Crew Handbook.
- Successful farm crew members will be proactive, detail-oriented, tireless workers, who have an eagerness to learn, a belief in local food systems, and a positive attitude.
- Valid driver's license, clean driving record.
- Women, minorities and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Paid hourly, $12/hour to start.
- Seasonal performance bonus(es) awarded as earned.
- Housing is not provided.