- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Flatbush Caton Market Director Urbane Development
- Date Posted April 19, 2017
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Business / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Urbane Development is a community development venture that cultivates innovative solutions to build dynamic neighborhoods and positively impact underserved communities. We envision neighborhoods that are defined by their strengths and experienced as places of opportunity and innovation. Urbane’s client base includes municipalities, economic development agencies, financial institutions, real estate developers, and small businesses throughout the US.Job description
Urbane Development is seeking a dynamic Market Director (MD) to join the team. Under the supervision of the Urbane Development management team, the MD will have direct responsibility and oversight of the Flatbush Caton Market (FCM), its staff, and in expertly managing its vendors and key internal/external stakeholders. Currently, the FCM is an 8900 SF vendor market in Flatbush, Brooklyn with 41 active vendors selling dry foods, clothing, health and beauty items, and other cultural items targeting the Caribbean community since 2001. In Fall of 2017, FCM will be relocated to a temporary market site within the neighborhood, while the existing market site is re-developed into a 14-story mixed-use complex, which will include a revamped FCM. You can learn more about this endeavor by visiting our website. In addition to playing a valuable role as the nexus between vendors, the community, city agencies and the development team, the MD will continue to build trust and relationships, while also providing strategic insight, guidance and recommendations to the UD team.
Since the project was awarded in late 2015, the UD team has engaged in the following activities in preparation for the market transition: Community Engagement and Asset Mapping, External Market Analysis, and an Internal Market Audit. In preparation for the move in late September 2017, the development team is now focused on designing the temporary space to better meet vendors’ and customers’ needs and developing a new market operations system. Leading up to the move, the development team will provide one-on-one technical assistance to assist vendors with the transition. The team will also focus on community outreach and marketing to prepare existing customers and attract new ones from Flatbush and the surrounding area.
In the first quarter of 2018, we will begin a series of training courses to strengthen vendors’ business and operational skills. Curriculum will cover marketing and events, finance and bookkeeping, inventory management, merchandising, technology and digital integration.
Key Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for overall daily market management at FCM.
- Strong, consistent communication to internal and external stakeholders, including at-market participation in events and off-site meetings.
- Serve as a liaison to local, state and federal officials, as well as to other non-profit organizations and educational institutions.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with individual and institutional donors to meet and exceed fundraising goals.
- General oversight and responsibility for prudent fiscal management, including developing working budgets and forecasts with Director of Operations and Bookkeeper.
- Codify processes and systems, technological and otherwise, necessary for successful market operations.
- Consistently engage all tenants to develop positive working relationships and maintain customer satisfaction.
- Shape and inform curriculum development and offerings for tenants, connecting them to appropriate and timely technical assistance, and reinforcing learnings through consistent follow-up and communication.
- Interface with tenants, licensees, permittees, operators and/or concessionaires on all aspects of their agreements with the Market to ensure compliance, including rental payments, arrears, insurance, tenant improvements, inspections, billing disputes, etc.
- Respond to tenant emergencies with urgency.
Marketing & Community Relations:
- With the support of the Marketing & Community Engagement Director, cultivate connections between FCM and the surrounding neighborhoods, including but not limited to, developing cultural event programming, curating vacant spaces within the market, and offering educational and training programs that excite vendors and residents alike.
- Identify business development and marketing opportunities to grow the FCM brand.
- Actively participates in local community, business improvement and economic development meetings and panels regarding retail and operations at FCM.
Staffing & Employee Relations:
- Assist with the recruitment of a Director of Operations and a Marketing and Community Engagement Director, and maintain subsequent staffing levels with effective talent management.
- Manage team members, including performance evaluation and professional development opportunities, to create a positive working environment.
- Resolve staff conflicts and provide guidance on interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Support the attraction of potential tenants, licensees, permittees, operators and/or concessionaires, which may include the development of Requests for Expressions of Interest (RFEIs) or Requests for Proposals (RFPs).
- Negotiates leases, licenses, permits, operating agreements and concessions, including specific deal terms, preparation of term sheets, proposals and counter proposals.
- Acts as the on-site liaison for prospective tenants/vendors and leasing/permitting operations.
- Maintain vacancy availability listings for distribution to brokers and others.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or commensurate work experience; Graduate degree in relevant field preferred (facilities management, property management, urban planning, real estate, business or related field.)
- 5+ years of professional experience in building management, commercial real estate, community programming/community development and/or economic development, including previous MD and/or management experience, with superior performance.
- Prior experience in retail and/or public markets; experience working in food and agricultural production environments preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and strong work ethic.
- Familiarity with Caribbean culture and the diaspora preferred.
- Verbal & written proficiency in one or more of the following languages preferred: Haitian Kreyòl, Spanish, French.
- Effective public speaking skills and an ability to promote FCM.
This is contract position with the potential to convert to full-time employment after a probationary period. Salary is commensurate with experience.Compensation this position is : contract Application instructions