- Date Posted April 25, 2017
- Location Waitsfield, VT
- Category Culinary
- Job Type Summer Job
The Refuge at Knoll Farm is a retreat center set in a spectacular, private setting that changes how people think and work together. Offering space for deep conversation and celebration, the refuge is an integral part of a working organic farm, where superb locally sourced food and ceremonial hand-crafted spaces encourage inspiration and renewal. 2017 will be our 15th year in operation, and we are known nationally as a place that convenes environmental and social change activists.
The farm is owned by a family who is in residence year-round. Farm and retreat center staff also live on site all summer. In addition to the retreat center, which attracts people from all over the country, we have a farmstand, pick-your-own berry orchard and a large flock of Icelandic sheep which we raise for meat and wool.Job Description
The Refuge at Knoll Farm is seeking a retreat chef for all of our summer residential programs, from mid June through September. Retreats are 2 to 7 days in length, with an average of 30 people. There are days off in between. We provide free housing and meals in session, in addition to $12.50 per hour.
The position involves planning creative menus, sourcing produce from local farms in our area, preparing and presenting delicious (mainly vegetarian) meals, cooking for special diets, and managing volunteers in the kitchen as well as keeping detailed budgets and managing spending wisely.
- Experience cooking family-style meals in a communal setting
- Passion for and knowledge of how to source from local farms and how to feature fresh whole ingredients to the best effect.
- Grace, interest and competency with special diets, religious food preferences, and ethnic cuisines, as well as living in a diverse community
- Works well independently or as a team
- Proven ability to be punctual and conscientious, to work within a meal schedule
- Strong knowledge of nutrition, whole-foods and vegetarian cooking
- Experience with menu-planning and purchasing, staying within a specified budget
This job begins July 5th and ends October 5th. The work schedule is arranged around the retreat calendar, which means that intense work periods are followed by blocks of days off. Compensation this position is PAID: contract How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline