Culinary Foods Lab Teacher The Putney School Summer Arts
- Date Posted April 26, 2017
- Location Putney, VT
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job Type Summer Job
The Putney School is an independent boarding school dedicated to progressive education for a sustainable future. Founded in 1935, the school is situated on a beautiful hilltop in southern Vermont. The school's studios and dormitories on our 500-acre campus, together with our working dairy and vegetable farm, serve over 200 students who enroll in the school's Summer Programs each summer.Job Description
Lead two 3-week Culinary Foods Lab workshops for teens. Eight teens enrolled per workshop over the course of 6-weeks.
Commitment to the program is from June 21st - August 5th
Teach teens the basics in cooking, baking, food preparation, and presentation through hands-on learning. Help them explore seasonality, preservation, culture, and address food waste. Students spend time harvesting ingredients from the kitchen garden and using sensory evaluations to understand herbs and their role in creating flavor profiles. Students will also analyze recipes and modify them for individualized interpretations.
The purpose of this workshop is to cultivate food agency by understanding the principles behind meal preparation:
- Recognize that food preparation is a science, a craft and an art as well as fundamental to cultural traditions.
- Practice technical skills and safe food handling in a kitchen laboratory.
- Develop food agency skills: sensory evaluation, mise-en-place, knife skills, product identification.
- Exhibit teamwork and respect in the foods laboratory and the garden.
There is flexibility in the overall content of the workshop. The right applicant will be able to craft a workshop that is engaging and ideal for sharing their passion for food with eager students.
Applicants should be enthusiastic about teaching teens, possess a love of the culinary arts, be a team player, and be flexible in working around/with staff.
For a full description please call 802-387-6234 or check out our website.