Visitor Service/Farm Stand Associate The Trustees of Reservations
- Date Posted April 26, 2017
- Location Edgartown, MA
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job Type Summer Job
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.
Our seasonal staff play an integral role in ensuring that our visitors enjoy our extraordinary places. With the change to warmer temperatures, we experience an influx of visitors of all ages and backgrounds who want to explore and be inspired by our properties. Sandy beaches, wooded trails, cultural gardens, historic homes, community supported agriculture—there are many ways for visitors to discover and explore The Trustees, and just as many opportunities for seasonal employees to make each visitor’s experience special.Job Description
The FARM Institute is a 160-acre teaching farm on the island of Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts, providing year-round, farm-based educational programs for families. Programs focus on farming, sustainability, nutrition, and land stewardship.
Summary of Position:
The Visitor Services and Farm Stand position primary responsibility is to engage visitors as they enter the farm stand and direct them to where they need to be (even if that is just at the farm stand). Position is also responsible for opening and closing procedures of the shop and all sales that occur in farm stand.
- Opening and closing farm stand
- Assisting customers with purchase of meat, vegetables, and other merchandise
- Registering participants for workshops or camps
- Assistance in basic cleaning such as sweeping, cleaning countertops, and glass
- Use of point of sale system
- Requesting visitors to sign-in and directing them to tours, camp, or other points of interest
- Inventory of merchandise upon infrequent request (generally twice a summer)
- Commitment to our mission of connecting people of all ages and circumstances to agriculture
- Must be outgoing and friendly
- Interest/knowledge in locally grown foods and farms a plus
- Background check required
- Flexible work schedule- some weekends
Ability to lift 20 pounds required.
Benefits and Salary:
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, full-time, hourly paid position, with an optimal start date in Mid-May. This position is based in Edgartown.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline