Farm Hand- The Farm Institute The Trustees of Reservations
- Date Posted May 02, 2017
- Location Edgartown, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Summer Job
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.
Our seasonal staff play an integral role in ensuring that our visitors enjoy our extraordinary places. With the change to warmer temperatures, we experience an influx of visitors of all ages and backgrounds who want to explore and be inspired by our properties. Sandy beaches, wooded trails, cultural gardens, historic homes, community supported agriculture—there are many ways for visitors to discover and explore The Trustees, and just as many opportunities for seasonal employees to make each visitor’s experience special.Job Description
About The Farm Institute
The FARM Institute is a 160+ acre livestock operation and teaching farm located on Martha’s Vineyard.
- Assisting in all day to day farm activities
- Animal care (feeding, watering, birthing, moving fences and assisting with associated treatments)
- Field work (mowing, haying, building fences and waterlines)
- Construction or repairs of new or existing farm buildings, structures and facilities
- Assist fellow TFI staff, student groups, volunteers, and interns with farm related projects
- Maintaining inventory of frozen meat and its whereabouts.
- Collecting, cleaning and helping with egg sales
- Basic machinery maintenance
- Other jobs as may from time-to-time be assigned, or required, not limited to livestock
- Repair and maintenance of housing, pens, fencing and feeding equiptment
- Assist with other livestock as requested and/or needed- other jobs as may from time-to-time be assigned, or required, not limited to livestock
- Basic Carpentry
- Tractor work
- Ability to work with livestock
Benefits and Salary:
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position. This position is based on Martha’s Vineyard, and can start immediately.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.