- Date Posted May 08, 2017
- Location New York, NY
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
GrowNYC is a non-profit with a forty-five year history of improving the environment in New York City. GrowNYC’s Zero Waste Programs, funded by the NYC Department of Sanitation, were created in 2006 to provide outreach and education on a wide range of waste prevention, reuse, and recycling initiatives. In 2011, the GrowNYC Compost Program began collecting food scraps for composting at several Greenmarkets, and has since expanded to operate 41 food scrap drop-off locations 45 times per week throughout NYC, diverting 25 tons of food scraps from landfills each week.
Compost Coordinator Position
Compost Coordinators are responsible for collecting food scraps at their assigned Greenmarket/s, promoting food-scrap diversion for composting as an alternative to conventional waste disposal, and educating NYC residents on a wide variety of waste reduction and landfill diversion topics. This position is seasonal, part-time. Opportunities for additional hours are available at Compost On-The-Go sites.
Compost Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Arrive at market at 7:30 AM to receive supply delivery
- Setup and prepare food-scrap collection bins and promotional materials
- Collect food-scraps from residents and promote food-scrap composting to the general public
- Record information during collection hours and submit electronic reports on time
- Understand what can and cannot be composted and communicate that knowledge with participants
- Answer a range of questions about waste reduction, composting, recycling, and GrowNYC programs
- Promote and answer questions regarding the DSNY organics collection program
- Work with partners, participants, and stakeholders (e.g. Greenmarket staff, Parks personnel, DSNY staff, volunteers, farmers, community organizations, local merchants, construction personnel, etc.)
- Represent GrowNYC Zero Waste Programs
Physical Requirements: This position requires working outdoors and standing for lengthy periods of time, sometimes in extreme temperatures, and in a potentially noisy environment. Compost Coordinators must be able to lift heavy bins and supplies, up to 50 lbs.
- Early-riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Passionate about composting, recycling, and waste reduction
- Experience in community outreach and/or education
- Enjoys talking with people of all backgrounds
- Takes initiative and excels at independent work
- Creative problem-solver, able to troubleshoot and make quick, often on-the-spot decisions
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Documents
- Interest in food waste and/or related issues – food systems, waste reduction, urban planning, pollution, environmental justice, environmental stewardship, farming
- Weekend and holiday availability required
- Fluency in multiple languages (especially, but not limited to, Spanish) a big plus
The Compost Coordinator position pays $15/hour, is part-time and seasonal, and includes only statutory benefits. For additional information, please visit GrowNYC.org/compost.
GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr + Application instructions