Head Cider Maker Eden Specialty Ciders
- Date Posted May 16, 2017
- Location Newport, VT
- Category Business / Production
- Job Type Full-Time
Eden Specialty Ciders is a unique player at the high end of the exploding hard (alcoholic) cider market in the US. We make ice ciders, aperitif ciders, and naturally sparkling dry ciders from locally grown heirloom variety apples. We value our Vermont working landscape, our orchard and the other apple growing families we work with, our environment, our wonderful teammates and partners, and especially our customers for whom we strive to deliver a pure, natural, delicious and beautiful drink experience.
Our ciders are distributed in 15 states, and have garnered the attention of top-rated restaurants in Boston, NY, DC, Chicago, San Francisco and beyond. They have been lauded in Food & Wine, The Art of Eating, Wine Spectator, Serious Drinks, Edible Manhattan and Edible Green Mountains, Martha Stewart Radio, Heritage Network Radio, and in Page & Dornenberg's "Food Lover's Guide to Wine".
Our team consists of Eleanor & Albert Leger, owners and business leaders, the head cider maker (this position), cellar assistant, warehouse assistant, our orchard manager, our business manager, our Tasting Bar team and our brand ambassadors. Our current head cider maker is leaving for Sweden to work with a collaborating ice cider producer there. We are looking for a new head cider maker to take his place permanently.
The cider maker is a critical role for the company. This is an opportunity to work in a cidery making truly exceptional ciders. You will learn how we make our unique ciders, and you will lead all aspects of the day-to-day cider operations. In addition to the responsibilities, skills and experience listed below, we look for intelligence, integrity, hard work, courage, self-knowledge, and a sense of humor. If that sounds right for you, please dont hesitate to respond to us.
- Develop goals for the quality, quantity and efficiency of the cider making operations in coordination with the owners
- Set production schedules and specification sheets for each cider
- Maintain a sanitary production environment at all times
- Take the lead in executing all fermentation, bottling and production processes
- Perform lab tests of juice, fermented ciders, final products and as needed during production processes to maintain quality
- Schedule and oversee hourly employees
- Work with owner to coordinate apple sourcing and pressing services with VT orchard suppliers and Eden's Orchard Manager
- Decide purchases of cider-making supplies and packaging and works with owner and business manager to make sure orders are executed and deliveries are timely
- Maintain production equipment and confer with owners regarding new equipment purchases
- Maintain an orderly warehouse and inventory of cider
- Oversee packing of cider orders for distributors
- Participate in sales activities at events and with distributors as production schedule allows
Skills and Experience:
- Successful science coursework and understanding of basic chemical and microbiological processes relevant to cider making
- 3 - 5 years of hands on experience with food and beverage production, wine-making experience is particularly relevant
- Knowledge and experience of sanitation principles and practices
- Tasting experience and understanding of flavors and balance
- Curiosity about ciders, cider styles, and cider flavors
- Physical capability to execute production processes, lift tank lids, move equipment
- Attention to detail to monitor ciders, keep facilities clean and sanitary, control costs and keep inventory counts accurate
- Organization skills to manage production processes according to plans and goals
- Analytical skills to create successful plans, and to identify and solve problems along the way (knowledge of Excel is a plus, as well as the proactive use of scientific and expert resources)
Residency in Northeast Kingdom of Vermont required.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, varies DOE, $40,000.00 - $55,000.00 How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineJune 01, 2017