Commissary Kitchen Manager Daily Table
- Date Posted May 18, 2017
- Location Boston, MA
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Daily Table is looking for a Kitchen Manager who will work alongside the Executive Chef to manage a commissary and prepared foods kitchen within a retail food store. The ideal candidate will have previous management experience, and prior experience working in a commissary kitchen. The Kitchen Manager will use his/her culinary knowledge to aide in the creation of delicious and nutritious take-home meals for customers. Our kitchen is very dynamic, with an ever-changing food supply. The Kitchen Manager must be flexible and creative with variations in ingredients, techniques, and flavors. In addition, this person will have a passion for Daily Table's Mission.
Qualified candidates will have experience creating menus on a large scale, drawing from his/her creativity and familiarity with a variety of ethnic foods and a diversity of preparation methods. The Kitchen Manager will serve as the leader of the commissary staff, and oversee all operations of the commissary including: personnel hiring and training, personnel management, assisting in menu planning and creation, margin and labor costs, on site food safety, and operations logistics. Daily Table is a fast-paced, start-up environment with plans for expansion. The Kitchen Manager will work closely with the Executive Chef to plan and implement new policies and procedures to manage the needs of this growing organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Kitchen Manager will bring strong kitchen and commissary operations experience to Daily Table. He/She will work to support the operations of the commissary from planning to execution, which includes culinary knowledge to create recipes, as well as kitchen management and maintenance. The Kitchen Manager will:
- Work with Executive Chef to plan and create all menus, which will seamlessly incorporate our varied food donations into meals that appeal to a diversity of cultures
- Understand how food storage, preparation, and pairing affect nutritional value to ensure daily prepared food offerings meet customer demand and Daily Table's nutrition guidelines.
- Understand how to use food to its fullest potential and minimize waste in the commissary
- Oversee the safe handling of food from reception, through preparation, service, and sale
- Train kitchen staff on appropriate food preparation to maintain food safety standards and reduce food waste
Operations and Logistics
- Assist in managing inventory and identify where shortages and overstock may be and adjust accordingly. Report to the Executive Chef to discuss successes, challenges, and opportunities
- In conjunction with the Executive Chef, establish goals for the kitchen, anticipate and resolve problems concerning all facets of the kitchen, anticipate trends, and enact approved cost saving ideas/activities
- Maintain effective cost control, service, and quality standards to efficiently operate kitchen
- Ensure all commissary equipment is cleaned and operating safely and properly, e.g. refrigerators, ovens, freezers, stoves
- Address emergencies and issues with a sense of urgency to ensure proper safety and reduce the risk of injuries
Personnel and Management
- Supervise the day to day activities of the commissary staff, delegate responsibilities, and set deadlines and maintain accountability to ensure the timely completion of work
- Assist in the training and management of staff and help create a strong team of dedicated employees who understand and share the mission and values of Daily Table
- Develop a good rapport with Daily Table team members and management team.
- At least 2 years of food production management experience
- Fast-paced kitchen and/or commissary experience required
- Prior experience as a Sous Chef or Kitchen Manager highly desired
- Culinary degree preferred
- Previous experience in cooking for special populations preferred, including knowledge of the DASH diet, glycemic index for diabetics, and vegetarian diets
- ServSafe Manager Certification required
- A strong belief in the mission of Daily Table, and commitment to delivering affordable, healthy food to the local community
- Flexible, adaptable, and customer-focused, with a commitment to high standards of food, service, and operation
- Attention to detail and understanding of the importance of food safety procedures
- Displays strong communication & leadership skills to foster a positive environment and encourage teamwork
- Ability to resolve problems and conflicts appropriately
- Familiarity with computers, including experience in menu costing and nutrition labeling software desired. Must have basic typing skills.
- Must have availability to work evening hours
- Able to perform physical demands, such as; standing, walking, kneeling, squatting, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50lbs
Dorchester residents are strongly encouraged to apply. Daily Table is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, varies DOE, $45,000.00 - $55,000.00 How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline