Food Service Cook Perkins School for the Blind
- Date Posted May 22, 2017
- Location Watertown, MA
- Category Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
Food Service Cook
Perkins School for the Blind, located near Boston, was the first school for the blind chartered in the United States in 1829. For over 180 years, Perkins School for the Blind has provided quality educational and residential services to multi-impaired students who are blind, visually impaired or deafblind, empowering them to reach their maximum potential. Perkins School for the Blind embraces diversity in ability, thought, culture and belief. We provide equal education and employment opportunities and value the unique talents and contributions of all of our students and staff.
Under the direction of the manager and school nutritionist, Food Service Cook is responsible for preparing meals and snacks to achieve required taste and appearance in accordance with school standard preparation guidelines and recipes for students, clients and staff.
- Prepare meals and snacks to achieve required taste and appearance in accordance with school standard preparation guidelines and recipes for students, clients and staff; To prepare foods for special events as needed.
- Any alterations in school standard preparation guidelines and recipes must be approved in advance by the manager or school nutritionist.
- Order food and beverage quantities as needed and adjust or extend recipes to appropriate quantities; maintain food quality standards including appearance, taste and nutritional requirements. Order and prepare food for student/clients on special diets; Ensuring appropriate labels on all purees and food items.
- Arrange cooking schedule and storage of cooked items to assure proper temperature of hot foods at cottage serving time(s).
- Monitor food deliveries for accuracy and freshness and report discrepancies; Maintain records and documentation on daily food usage.
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently.
- Clean and maintain kitchen equipment, utensils and appliances and store food supplies; in accordance with sanitation and safety regulations and procedures. of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, OSHA and ServSafe.
- To perform other related duties and task as assigned.
- High school diploma.
- Two years related experience in methods of cooking and preparing food in large quantities or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience working with allergies preferred. Ability to get ServSafe certified within 12 months.
Benefits: We provide a complete benefits package, which includes, recess time, tuition reimbursement, medical and dental insurance, LTD and Life insurance, retirement programs and staff development and training.
Perkins seeks to enhance its community of intellectually, culturally, and socially diverse individuals to enrich the educational experience of our students. Applicants from a multicultural background, are bilingual, and/or who have life experience are encouraged to apply.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Job Type: Part-time
- High school or equivalent
- cooking: 2 years