Farmer's Market Manager Sankofa Farmers Market
- Date Posted January 19, 2012
- Location New Orleans, LA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
The Sankofa Farmers Market operates every Saturday from 10AM to 2PM and offers seasonal, locally produced, nutritious produce to the Lower and Upper Ninth Ward neighborhoods and surrounding areas. The Market serves as a community anchor, supports local farmers and fishers, provides access to fresh local foods, stimulates economic activity, and empowers the community with information about the health benefits of fresh produce.The successful applicant will be a strong organizer, enjoy working with people of different social and economic backgrounds, have a zeal to address problems quickly and directly, be able to develop and maintain market administrative systems, and be an excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills. She/he will manage various activities that support the goals and objectives of the organization. She/he will have an ability to develop, maintain, and report detailed market records (including various forms of measurements and data collection). The manager will make decisions, delegate tasks, and develop and motivate market staff. The manager will ensure that the people she/he assigns to tasks are doing their duties correctly and within the established schedule.
The Market Manager’s responsibilities include:
- supervise market staff and volunteers;
- organize/initiate, oversee, and participate in community outreach work to help foster community support for the market;
- increase the number and diversity of shoppers (in age, income and geographic location), community partners, and volunteers;
- increase the number of farmers, fishers, and producers from the Gulf Coast region to become vendors at the market;
- manage market database systems for market vendors, community outreach work and activities, and market consumers;
- manage market metrics to accurately record weekly and monthly market activities and reports;
- manage and continue to develop logistical systems to ensure that market day each week runs smoothly;
- manage the set up and break down of the market. Welcome Tent and any affiliated materials and activities each week;
- identify and prepare grants for the Market to cover various immediate and long term expenses;
- work with the Executive Director to develop and maintain budgets for the market;
- develop professional relationships and maintain contact with local, regional, and national markets;
- coordinate with other Sankofa CDC Project Managers whose organizational activities are interrelated with those of the farmers’ market.
- The ideal candidate will be an outgoing individual with excellent communication, organizational, and problem solving skills as well as a strong interest in equitable access to community health resources, agriculture, community development, and local economies.
- She/he must have strong management and leadership skills, be a self-starter, reliable, friendly, motivated, and able to focus on multiple tasks at once.
- Attention to detail and accuracy of work, ability to work with limited supervision, ability to manage relationships with a diverse population (schools, seniors, farmers, neighborhood- based organizations, other community members) and ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships with the staff of Sankofa CDC are important.
- She/he will be able to work under pressure, manage people, address conflict and crisis management, and motivate the people under her/his supervision.
- Knowledge of database software programs and computer word processing required.
- Must be able to work irregular hours and weekends when necessary.
- Relevant work experience in the areas of logistics, coordination, management, and administrative tasks or college degree is required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- The Market Manager reports directly to the Executive Director of Sankofa CDC.
- This is a full time salaried position.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline