Full-time Farm Hand Rodgers Greens and Roots Farm
- Date Posted June 07, 2017
- Location Douglasville, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
The farm's Owner and Operator, Ashley Rodgers, has been farming in Georgia organically for her entire career. Ashley previously managed Serenbe Farms in Chattahoochee Hills, GA, as well as vegetable production for White Oak Pastures, in Bluffton, GA, and Planted Rock Farm in Chattahoochee Hills, GA. You can learn more about Ashley and her farming practices/beliefs on the following media: CBS Sunday Morning, Women's Health Magazine, and Civil Eats. Rodgers Greens and Roots farm market their produce to Peachtree Road Farmers Market in Atlanta, Metro-Atlanta area restaurants, CSA's and wholesale.
The farm's growing style is medium-scale, mechanized production: tractors, tools and machinery, however, we are not a big AG farm. Sustainable farming practices are the backbone of Rodgers Greens and Roots: compost, cover crop, and crop rotation. Rodgers Greens and Roots Farm has great potential for growth for the right candidate: a great location, on phenomenal bottom land soil, an experienced farm manager mentor, the burgeoning Atlanta local food market/scene, and a warm and welcoming farm family. We are a young, liberal-minded farming family and crew. We are an equal opportunity employer without discrimination and are accepting applications from anyone interested in applying for this position. Job Description
We are hiring two full-time farm hands. We will be accepting applications until the position has been filled. We are seeking someone with 1 year of experience in small to medium scale organic vegetable production. This is a full-time permanent year-round position and can be an excellent opportunity for someone looking to stay on a farm for more than a season. We are interviewing for this position until it is filled.
The Full-time farm hand will work alongside the assistant farm manager and field manager, and will focus on assisting in the growth and maintenance of the farm's crops through greenhouse seeding, transplanting, cultivation, irrigation, pest and disease prevention and application, row covers, trellising, and field clean-up. Harvesting, washing, packing and distribution of vegetables to farmer's markets and restaurants will also be a large role of this position.
- Greenhouse seeding and management
- Irrigation installation and running of schedules
- Infrastructure development
- Cultivation and weed control
- Harvesting, washing, packing vegetables
- Farmers market sales, set-up and break down
- Restaurant deliveries into Atlanta
- Tractor work: primarily tillage, bush hogging, and cultivation, will be expected after a significant training period
- 1 year of full-time previous farming experience in organic vegetable production
- A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle and livelihood
- A mind for efficiency, attention to detail, organization and a sense of urgency
- Open and positive communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative and take on responsibility
- Proficient in: harvesting all types of vegetables, washing and bunching, weeding, installing drip tape and other forms of irrigation, transplanting and greenhouse seeding.
- Farmers market sales experience-setting up and breaking down
$250/week for 6 months, with potential for a pay increase in June
1 week paid vacation for first year
One Bedroom in a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. Includes: washer & dryer, internet, heating, A/C, refrigerator and stove. House is an 8 minute drive from the farm.
Future Opportunities: This position has room for growth if the first season goes well and is a mutually beneficial relationship, this would include an increase in responsibility and a pay increase. We are looking for farmers to grow with us.
Within 5-10 years we want to grow this farm into 22 acres of vegetable cultivation, 7 acres of Orchard, 20 acres of small livestock (chickens, sheep and goats). Growing and sales will focus on farmers markets, restaurants and wholesale, and a small CSA for the first two years, with a transition in year three to greatly expanding our CSA program. At full scale production we hope to have 600+ CSA members.Compensation this position is PAID: stipend How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline