Community Organizer Pioneer Valley Workers Center
- Date Posted June 30, 2017
- Location Springfield/Northampton, MA
- Category Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
We will create a society free of exploitation and oppression, where all people have the resources to live happy lives. As we fight to dismantle the old society, we wish to build institutions that directly represent the interests of working people and create an economy that is rooted in democracy and ecological sustainability. In the past, workers have built workers councils and cooperatives to democratically make decisions about their workplaces. This vision and the beliefs it is build on are woven throughout all of our projects and campaigns.
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Organizer
The Pioneer Valley Workers Center (PVWC) seeks a full-time Organizer to build power among low-wage and immigrant workers in Western Massachusetts. The Organizer will primarily focus on base-building in Hampden County, and will also oversee the new PVWC Know Your Rights hotline, responding to immigration-related emergencies. The ideal candidate will work well in collaboration with others, and have a proven ability to successfully manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
Organization Summary: Founded in 2014, the PVWC builds power with low-wage and immigrant workers throughout Western MA. Together, we organize win real change in the lives of working people.
Position Summary: You would work closely with PVWC’s Lead Organizers and Worker Fellows to advance PVWC’s mission. You would have primary responsibility for leading the PVWC hotline, and for base-building as well as leadership development and hotline promotion in Hampden County. You will work closely with the Brightwood Health Center and have a satellite office in this location.
- Build and sustain relationships with low-wage workers, with a focus on Hampden County.
- Support the self-organization and leadership development of workers.
- Strengthen the capacity of workers to strategize, launch and lead campaigns
- Assist in facilitating worker meetings and develop worker capacity to lead meetings.
- Work with PVWC Lead Organizers to launch a new membership model.
- Train immigrant leaders in Know Your Rights curriculum and facilitate peer-to-peer education.
- Organize and coordinate public events, manage publicity and media outreach.
- Develop and sustain relationships with agencies, organizing groups, schools, clinics, and elected officials to advance worker campaign goals.
- Build worker engagement and leadership in coalitions.
- Attend weekly meetings with PVWC organizers.
- Attend monthly meetings of the New North Citizens Council.
- Work in close partnership with new Community Outreach employee at Brightwood’s Cliniquita.
Hotline Coordination & Administration:
- Oversee operations of PVWC’s Sanctuary in the Streets 24-hour hotline.
- Work with PVWC Lead Organizers and Sanctuary in the Streets volunteers to ensure shifts are covered, volunteers are trained and engaged, and hotline is answered according to protocol.
- Work with team to guide hotline strategy and growth.
- Work in partnership with PVWC Lead Organizers to manage office, volunteers, and to share in daily work of operating the Workers Center.
- 2-5 years of experience organizing among immigrants and/or low-wage workers.
- Coalition-building experience among unions and/or other organizations.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required.
- Excellent communication skills in Spanish and English, written and spoken.
- Skilled at facilitating group meetings.
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings.
- Commitment to building racial and social justice through leadership development, community organizing and popular education.
- Ability to develop innovative strategies and tactics for campaigns.
Location: Northampton and Springfield
Details: Full-time position, some nights and weekends. Exemption Status: Exempt
Compensation: Competitive. This position is fully funded for one year, with plans to extend.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and two references to email@example.com
Compensation this position is PAID: stipend How to apply