- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Children's Garden Instructor (Fall) Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Date Posted July 27, 2017
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an urban botanic garden that connects people to the world of plants, fostering delight and curiosity while inspiring an appreciation and sense of stewardship of the environment.
Since 1914, children have been growing flowers, vegetables, and herbs and learning firsthand about the natural world in Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s Children’s Garden. With a focus on greening the urban environment through education, sustainable practices, and stewardship, BBG encourages young people to be participants, not just spectators, in community horticulture and conservation.
Here, children 2 to 17 years old can plant their own crops and flowers and harvest them under the guidance of garden instructors. Younger children combine planting, tending, and harvesting with craft making and creative play. For older children, lessons in science and urban ecology accompany the gardening, and teenagers who successfully complete the program can go on to become junior instructors. Over a thousand youngsters now garden in the Children's Garden every year.Job description
Date: July 27, 2017
Position Title: Children’s Garden Seasonal Instructor (Fall)
Department: Children’s Education
Reports to: Children’s Garden Coordinator
Term: August 26–October 28, 2017
Compensation: $15 per hour
Application Due: August 15, 2017
Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s Children’s Education programs are world renowned for teaching hands-on gardening and plant science to children and teens. Children’s Garden fall instructors develop and teach age-appropriate gardening lessons to a group of up to 12 children with the assistance of two to three teen apprentices in our Garden Apprentice Program. Instructors must participate in a one-day training session prior to teaching in the Children’s Garden program.
Schedule: Training: August 26 | 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Program: September 8 to October 28 | Fridays 2 to 6 p.m.; Saturdays 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (No programs on September 30 or October 7)
- Lead an age-based group of 12 children in hands-on gardening instruction in a half-acre edible garden (ages 4 to 6; 7 to 9; or 10 to 13).
- Develop and lead supplementary enrichment activities such as seasonal cooking activities or nature crafts.
- Ensure that each assigned garden plot is planted out and maintained according to weekly tasks.
- Mentor two to three teen apprentices who assist instructors in facilitating their group.
- College-level studies or career experience in education, urban agriculture, nutrition, botany, or environmental or biological sciences
- Experience teaching children
- Gardening experience preferred
- Experience and comfort working with youth and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Clearance of fingerprinting and background check