Associate Editor, Recipes & Visuals Southern Kitchen
- Date Posted July 12, 2018
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Media
- Job Type Freelance
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the Associate Editor position is a multi-faceted one, and requires experience both cooking great food and writing about it. This person will primarily work with our Recipes Editor and Visual Content Director to help develop recipes and create informative, fun and engaging cooking content.
Experience working in a culinary environment, as well as styling, shooting and editing recipes, is crucial to success in this job. This is an equally great job for a creative kitchen cook looking for less-hectic hours or an excellent home cook and blogger wanting to spread her/his wings.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, developing recipes, writing cooking-focused stories, shooting and editing photography, and assisting at photo and video shoots. The Associate Editor will also assist the editor-in-chief in editing both staff and freelance stories. All content team members contribute to the e-commerce side of the Southern Kitchen operation, and the Associate Editor will be expected to help craft beautiful and compelling product copy and related content.
Each member of the content team is responsible for helping to build up and champion our website, and will be expected to wear many hats throughout the day. We promise you’ll never be bored, and you’ll always be fed well.
Some job perks: Free food from our test kitchen! A highly engaged and fun team! Access to really cool kitchen tools and supplies!
Note: While we are hiring this role in a freelance/contractor capacity, we plan to transition this employee to full-time as soon as possible, based on performance. If you have concerns about this status, we still encourage you to apply; we are happy to negotiate.
- At least 2-3 years of demonstrated culinary experience, preferably in a media and/or test kitchen environment (print or digital)
- At least 1-2 years of demonstrated writing experience, preferably at a food-related website or magazine
- Demonstrated food photography and editing experience
- A digital-first mindset; willing to dive deep into analytics and trends to generate content ideas
- Extremely detail-oriented and deadline driven.
- Enthusiasm for cooking, eating and the South.
- Excitement about working on a small team, and the ability to take on additional responsibilities as needed
Also good to have:
- Demonstrated experience with content management tools, such as Wordpress, as well as working knowledge of HTML and AP style
- Working knowledge of analytics tools, such as Moz and Google Analytics
- Experience appearing on-screen and/or on radio/podcasts
- Experience writing and editing merchandising copy for e-commerce site(s)
- Demonstrated video and audio editing experience
Please note: Southern Kitchen hopes to recruit and advance qualified minorities, women, LGBTQ, persons with disabilities, and veterans — we welcome and encourage all applicants. Our goal is for our team and culture to reflect the diversity of the South today.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, $15/hr or more How to apply