- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
General Manager Greene Hill Food Co-op
- Date Posted September 06, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Business / Production
- Job type Full-Time
The Greene Hill Food Co-op, a member-owned grocery store in Brooklyn, NY, is hiring a full-time (35-hour) General Manager. This position reports to the Board of Directors and works with Co-op member-owners in manages store operations. Interested applicants are encouraged to read about the Co-op at www.greenehillfood.coop.
This is an exciting moment to take on this leadership position at Greene Hill Food Co-op. After being evicted from its old home, members voted to relocate rather than close. In August, the Co-op finished renovating and moving into its new home.
The next General Manager will face many challenges and opportunities in leading the Co-op through its ongoing transformation. Co-op member-owners have led a “Co-op 2.0” campaign to reinvest in operations and organizational policies. At the same time, the Co-op’s new, more visible home has already brought increased sales and membership. As the Co-op continues to grow, the General Manager will play a key role in supporting sustainable business operations, cultivating member-owner leadership, and continuing to improve the Co-op’s accessibility in its racially and economically diverse neighborhood.
- Experience working in cooperatives, food, education and/or community organizing preferred; working knowledge and/or desire to learn more of the working food cooperative business structure, principles and values expected
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repeatedly unassisted
- Proficiency with the use of computers, Internet, Google Documents, and retail programs, with the ability to troubleshoot small technology programs within the store
- Proficiency or the ability to become proficient in store Point of Sale systems, and online accounting systems
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to manage potential employees as well as a diverse group of members with a wide range of capabilities
- Ability to speak and communicate clearly in English, and ability to communicate with diverse populations and stakeholders
- Spanish speaking preferred, but not required
Goals: To ensure store is running smoothly, uphold the general health of the cooperative, and delegate tasks to members.
As we are a member-labor based organization, the General Manager is expected to strengthen the ability for member labor to complete the majority of in store tasks.
Your job responsibilities include:
- Ensure compliance with health codes & other applicable laws
- Implement, improve and streamline in-store procedures
- Receive products and direct their restocking
- Manage inventory, including ownership over Revel inventory procedures and accuracy, periodic physical counts, and the annual physical inventory
- Coordinate with Merchandising Committee about store merchandise needs and deliveries
- Oversee produce ordering (either through directly ordering or working closely with Merch produce buyers)
- Maintain communication with members working weekday in-store shifts
- Delegate operational tasks to members working their shifts
- Coordinate in-store membership shift slots, in collaboration with Membership
- Make regular safe drops and bank deposits
- Keep informed on committee work, as it pertains to the store and to member-labor needs
- Serve as an Ex Officio Board Member; attend all general and board meetings and participate in discussions and decisions
If the Co-op’s budget allows for the hiring of additional store coordinators, your responsibilities will also include participating in the hiring and training of temporary store coordinators as well as coordinating their coordinating their work in the store.
35 hours per week, according to the following general schedule:
- Monday through Thursday: 2 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. (in store)
- Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (receiving, in store)
- All general and board meetings (approximately 2 hours per month)
- Receiving Krasdale orders (4 hours, approximately twice per month)
- Willingness to potentially work weekends as needed
Compensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr + Application instructions