Organic Procurement Coordinator Georgia Organics
- Date Posted October 02, 2018
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Georgia Organics is a dynamic and growing statewide nonprofit connecting organic food from Georgia farms to Georgia families. Founded in 1997, the organization is based in Atlanta and led by a board of directors, staff of 14 employees and additional support from consultants, interns, members and volunteers. Georgia Organics has three primary goals to:
- Increase the number of organic and sustainable farmers in rural and urban areas
- Increase the number of children participating in farm to school programs
- Increase the number of Georgians eating organically grown, local food
The organic procurement coordinator will collaborate with certified organic farms in Georgia to market and increase sales of local food to restaurants, particularly restaurants serving the metro Atlanta region. The coordinator will recruit restaurants to participate in a farm to restaurant campaign over the next three years to foster the growth of organic agriculture in Georgia. The coordinator will collaborate with the farmer services director to provide support, training and resources for farmers to be “restaurant ready” and become certified organic in alignment with Georgia Organics 200 Organic Farms campaign. Weekly organic supply availability will be collected and shared with the restaurants and distribution logistics will be developed in cooperation with individual farms and aggregators like The Turnip Truck, Common Market, and Farm’D. The coordinator will also work with Georgia Organics events coordinator and a public relations consultant to promote and organize an annual recognition event to honor and market participating restaurants and farmers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Sales and Marketing
- Customer service and relationship management in working with the needs of farmers, restaurants and other buyers.
- Recruit restaurants to commit to purchase regularly from local, organic farms.
- Plan and oversee marketing and promotion activities including print, online, electronic media, and related activities.
- Coordinate signature annual event to recognize and market participating farmers and restaurants to the broader public.
- Procurement and Logistics Coordination
- Develop and maintain database that aggregates farm supply and collaborate with existing aggregators.
- Share organic farm supply consistently with prospective buyers to advance sales.
- Devise record-keeping strategies to track customer accounts and sales over time.
- Project Management
- Organize and execute a project plan that will meet outlined goals and deliverables.
- Develop technology solutions to allow for collection of data on farm supply and vendor sales to communicate effectively and track and evaluate progress
- Organize training and provide support to help farmers become restaurant ready.
- Manage grant reporting, budgets and evaluation of progress and results
Select performance measures:
- Number of organic farms participating in the farm to restaurant campaign
- Increase organic farms sales to restaurants and other buyers
- Number of restaurants purchasing annually from organic farms
- Increase in purchasing from individual restaurants over time
- Success of special events in attendance and impact
- Public awareness of campaign and participating restaurants and farmers
- Involvement of board, staff, volunteers and partners.
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player with Georgia Organics staff, farmers, restaurants and partners. Handles situations with poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of Georgia Organics.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity, is goal oriented and has a clear commitment to Georgia Organics core values.
- Resilience/Adaptability: Ability to be flexible and operate effectively in an evolving environment. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Awareness and Sensitivity of Self and Others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Has experience and the ability to work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Knowledge and Skills: Knowledge of Georgia Organics policies and procedures. Requires general marketing, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- Prior sales, communications and marketing experience
- Understanding of the local food movement including experience working with the agricultural, culinary, restaurant and/or hospitality industries.
- Capacity to develop and manage work plans, databases, and budgets.
- Deeper experience in logistics and/or operations is a bonus
- Experience in non-profits and/or with fundraising will be useful.
- Experience with event planning will be helpful.