Development Assistant Edible Schoolyard NYC
- Date Posted October 04, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Edible Schoolyard NYC’s mission is to support edible education for every child in New York City. We partner with New York City public schools to cultivate healthy students and communities through hands-on cooking and gardening education, transforming children’s relationship with food. Inspired by the philosophy and model of Edible Schoolyard Berkeley and its founder, acclaimed restaurateur and food activist Alice Waters, Edible Schoolyard NYC was founded in 2010 to serve the specific needs of students in historically underserved public schools.
If you are passionate about food, this is the place for you. While edible education is our core focus, we connect to the food world in many fun and interesting ways. We work with top chefs and restaurants on partnerships which support our work, and collaborate with cool and interesting brands to increase awareness of our mission. Many of our staffers are passionate foodies and cooks, and we enjoy swapping recipes and food whenever possible. We are guided by six core values: 1. Passion and dedication 2. Community 3. Learning and discovery 4. Wellness 5. Collaboration 6. Equity.Job description
Edible Schoolyard NYC has an immediate opening for a full-time Development Assistant to provide administrative and fundraising support to Edible Schoolyard NYC’s development team. Reporting to the VP, Growth Strategy & Development, this is a great opportunity to gain a broad understanding of how a small nonprofit organization works and have a hands-on role in fundraising.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support to the development team with heavy focus on the relationship management and scheduling needs of the VP of Growth Strategy & Development and the Executive Director.
- Manage the organization’s fundraising database (Salesforce) including data/gift entry, running reports, queries, and list management.
- Coordinate with key staff to ensure the database information is kept up to date and liaise with consultant on database clean-up/set-up projects as needed.
- Support donor relations through indirect means (tracking outreach/communications, follow-ups, mailings, emails, phone calls, etc.).
- Conduct outreach and follow-up, including preparing prospect kits and scheduling meetings.
- Assist with planning, organizing, and staffing events (fundraising events, volunteer events, cultivation events, etc.) as part of development team.
- Attends fundraising meetings as necessary with VP, Growth Strategy & Development/Executive Director.
- Identify and conduct research on high net worth prospective donors.
- Prepare receipts and acknowledgment letters for all gifts received.
- Assist with Grants/Foundation research, grant writing and submissions.
- Assist with board/associate board meeting preparations as needed.
- Other tasks as necessary to support full development team.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience in nonprofit and/or administrative setting preferred. Recent graduates welcome to apply.
- Connection to Edible Schoolyard NYC’s mission and values.
- Highly motivated and eager to learn the inner workings of a development office in a small nonprofit.
- Exceptional communication, writing, and interpersonal skills necessary.
- Extremely detail-oriented, organized, and able to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience with use of fundraising software databases such as Salesforce preferred.
- Experience with graphic design platforms (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite) a plus but not required.
- Strong computer skills required, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs/Sheets.
- Sense of humor and desire to join a fun, fast-paced, and dynamic organization.
- Self-starter and proactive: Must be self-motivated and able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Willing to work occasional nights and weekends.
Salary is commensurate with experience; benefits package, and generous vacation policy. Professional development opportunities are supported when feasible. This is a full-time non-exempt position.Compensation this position is : salaried, less than 50k Application instructions