- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Communications and Outreach Director Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners
- Date Posted January 18, 2019
- Location Unity, ME
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Mission: MOFGA is a broad-based community that educates about and advocates for organic agriculture, illuminating its interdependence with a healthy environment, local food production, and thriving communities. Job description
The Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association is seeking a dynamic, energetic and creative individual to join its senior management team as Communications and Outreach Director. The successful candidate will help to raise the profile of one of the country’s longest established statewide organic certification, education and advocacy organizations.
Primary Responsibilities: To manage MOFGA’s communications, marketing, public relations and outreach.
Supervisor: Executive Director
Work Week: 40 hours -- Monday through Friday, and additional evening and weekend hours as needed for events.
Position: Salaried. Federal Fair Labor Standards Act Exempt. The employee is not eligible for overtime payment.
Required Abilities and Knowledge:
- Deep understanding of organic farming, gardening and/or homesteading
- Appreciation for the depth and breadth of MOFGA’s programs and constituents
- Proven track record in the field of communications, PR and media outreach. Ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years experience at a nonprofit or for-profit organization.
- An understanding and awareness of the media landscape in Maine and nationally
- Demonstrated aptitude with both traditional and new communication channels
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Basic understanding of web design, user experience, digital content, digital ads.
- Familiarity with content management systems and managing online communications
- Ability to respond quickly to changing goals and objectives
- Experience with crisis management
- Experience with volunteer management, campaign management, or advocacy campaigns
- Experience managing a team
- Excellent detail-oriented project management
- Impeccable follow-through and self-motivation on assignments
- Commitment to promoting and advocating for organic farming, gardening and consuming
- Establish a strategic communications plan, budget and editorial calendar to advance MOFGA’s mission.
- Be MOFGA’s first point of contact with the media and develop relationships with print, broadcast and new media journalists.
- Represent MOFGA at events and engage comfortably with MOFGA’s varied constituents.
- Supervise communications and outreach staff.
- Manage the writing, editing and creation of all of MOFGA’s publications and written communications.
- Ensure consistent use of AP style and fact checking in all of MOFGA’s written communications.
- Develop and run online engagement campaigns to tell our story, engage our supporters, advance our goals, grow our email list and promote the MOFGA certified organic brand.
- Coach, train and develop leaders, spokespersons and senior staffers as media spokespeople.
- Help write fundraising communications.
- Transform information into audio (radio shows, podcasts), visual (video, photo, and graphic) and interactive media; facility with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.), video-editing software (Final Cut, etc.), photo sharing apps a plus.
- Update and maintain our social media presence, including daily monitoring, posting, scheduling, reporting and social media platform updates.
- Produce detailed reports of communications activities for staff and leadership.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position can be based in Unity or Portland, although regular travel to Unity will be required for anyone based in Portland. Occasional travel elsewhere in the state will be required in either case. MOFGA’s success depends upon the collaborative spirit among its staff members and volunteers. Employees are expected to be ready and willing to assist colleagues in all program areas when directed to do so by their supervisors.
Competitive salary dependent upon experience. MOFGA has an excellent benefits package with paid medical, dental and vision insurance and paid maternity/paternity leave. Employees have four weeks of annual vacation, 12 sick days, three personal days, and 14 paid holidays annually.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k to 100k Application instructions