Apprentice Harlem Valley Homestead
- Date Posted January 21, 2019
- Location Wingdale, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Internship/Apprentice
Harlem Valley Homestead is an education-focused diversified vegetable, flower and livestock farm on 250 acres in Wingdale NY. We maintain 50 acres in pasture and 5 acres in cover crop for future production. We currently have a herd of beef cattle, a flock of layer chickens, a small orchard, a small vegetable and flower garden and a small apiary. We are not certified, though we adhere to organic practices. We sell at local farmer’s markets and to local restaurants, process for value-added products, and grow for on-site events and workshops for the local community.
We have plans to grow and expand: in 2019 we are scaling up our vegetable and flower production, growing our apiary, adding sheep to our pasture rotations, pigs to our woods, an herb garden, a hop yard, and mushroom cultivation. This year we are also restoring and building out our farm infrastructure including barns, a propagation greenhouse, hoop houses, perimeter and deer fencing, and wells and irrigation. This is a dynamic phase of growth as we establish the foundation of our farm and work towards our future of becoming a rural agrarian learning center, in which we will host overnight guests who can participate in on site activities. More information is on our website at www.harlemvalleyhomestead.com.Internship description
We are seeking up to six full time apprentices for the 2019 growing season. The apprenticeship at HVH is a hands-on learning experience across all areas of our operations including farm production, kitchen processing, on-site events and market sales. If you like to ask questions, love to learn on the job and are excited to work with a dynamic team in a startup environment, then join us! If you are looking for a formal educational program from an established farm or school, then this might not be the best fit. Previous farming experience is helpful, although we are willing to train the right candidate.
Positive attitude, a sense of humor and a collaborative spirit are a must. Team members must have a love of physical labor, be able to safely lift 50 lbs regularly, and be willing to work in all weather conditions. Weekly tasks may include fence work, water line repair, soil preparation, planting, weeding, irrigating, pruning/trellising, seeding, harvesting, wash/pack, pest management, mushroom cultivation, farmer’s market sales, cooking and food-processing. Apprentices will receive proper safety training and instruction.
Apprentices will gain working knowledge of:
- Multi-species intensive rotational grazing and pasture management
- Animal husbandry
- Intensive vegetable and herb production
- Cut flower production
- Honey production and apiary management
- Mushroom cultivation
- Kitchen processing and fermentation, including beer brewing
Additional opportunities include:
- Participation in on-farm educational workshops such as foraging, fermentation and candle making
- Participation in community events such as burger nights, farm tours and volunteer days
- Training on equipment: tractor and skid steer, small engine equipment (BCS, weed whacker, etc.)
- Develop fluency in a range of hand tools developed for intensive vegetable production.
The apprenticeship runs from April to November.
Hours will average 40-45 hours per week, though may vary week to week and seasonally
Apprentices must be available to work some weekends for chores, markets and/or events.
We can consider a later seasonal start for the right candidate.
There is also the possibility of winter work, as well as the potential for career growth in our expanding organization.
Clean driving record and valid driver’s license for farmers markets and deliveries
COMPENSATION + BENEFITS
- $12 / hour. Hourly rate negotiable for people who do not require housing
- On-site housing along the beautiful Ten Mile River with access to hiking on the Appalachian Trail
- Weekday team lunch, prepared in the spirit of sharing work and food
- Bountiful farm produce and 30% off meat
- CRAFT membership with the opportunity to visit regional farms
- Work outside in a beautiful environment
- Work with a dynamic team of educators, farmers, cooks, conservationists and naturalists
- 90 minute train ride from NYC on Metro-North (5 min from train station)