Seasonal Garden and Farm Intern North Country School/ Camp Treetops
- Date Posted February 03, 2019
- Location Lake Placid, NY
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Internship/Apprentice
Our not-for-profit organization consists of a boarding school, North Country School, and a seven week summer camp, Camp Treetops. Farming and organic gardening play central roles in the lives of children and adults, both at the school and camp. Our animal program consists of the care and management of horses, sheep, goats, chickens, and pigs, including animals for meat production. Our gardens produce about five acres of vegetables and flowers for consumption and education. In addition, during the spring we run a maple syrup operation in which we tap approximately 500 maple trees. The work here is demanding but highly rewarding and filled with opportunities for learning. Interns have daily interactions with our students and campers, but are also expected to develop skills related to garden and farm production systems, which sometimes necessitates working independently.
Seasonal Garden and Farm Interns work in all areas of our farm, focusing in garden and maple production, with cross training in barn and animal care.
Interns receive room and board, a modest weekly stipend, and a great educational experience. Positions are available June through August.
- Assist with all aspects of greenhouse and garden production systems during summer months, including seeding, transplanting, cultivation, harvest, and preparation for use in the kitchen
- Assist with maple sugar production and greenhouse work in spring months
- Provide occasional support and assistance to barn and animal care
- Lead harvest and work crews of students and campers, and facilitate opportunities for farm-based learning
- Desire to live and work in an educational institution with plant and animal production systems
- Ability to work independently and as part of a group
- Ability to provide instruction to children, and coordinate groups of children
- Ability to perform physical work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions