Field Manager Delight Flower Farm
- Date Posted February 12, 2019
- Location Urbana, IL
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
This position is a two-fold management position that oversees both people and the aspects of farming that fall under “field work.” Because we are a small farm, the person in this role will be doing the same field work as the crew and will have the added responsibility of crew leadership and execution of the crop plan. This person should have a detailed understanding of the farm and an ability to communicate the overall picture to the crew at all times. A big part of your duties will be keeping an eye on the crew in terms of quality control and efficiency. You'll be asked to manage field staff and/or volunteers on your own, which will require thinking on your feet, making snap decisions in a sometimes chaotic environment, and communicating instructions effectively to others.
All field crew members, including field manager, are involved in all aspects of the farm field work: planting, cultivating, irrigation, pest and disease control, mowing, greenhouse management, washing buckets, and especially harvesting flowers. Crew members can expect to gain an understanding of all aspects of running a sustainable flower farm. Some days are full of many varied tasks, while others are more routine (for example, lots of hand-weeding or harvesting). While we have fun, we are also dedicated to staying focused on completing the farming tasks in an efficient manner, regardless of the rain, wind, heat, or sometimes beautiful weather. This position does not include post-harvest handling/processing of flowers in the studio. In other words: if you have dreams of arranging flowers - this is NOT the position for you.
5-6 days/week plus rotating weekend chores or farmer’s markets. We are looking for help Monday-Saturday. Some staff will go to markets on Saturdays, and a couple people will be at the farm to do the daily chores.
We work ~6-8 hours a day, depending on the time of year. Hours vary throughout the season: March-July hours are 30-40 per week; July, August, and September could be nearly 50 per week; Oct and Nov are ~35 per week. We take lunch breaks every day.
5 unpaid vacation/sick days per season. Paid farm field trips will happen throughout the season.
Employee is responsible for having a valid driver's license, housing, reliable transportation to the farm, and appropriate farm clothes/rain gear/boots.
This position is seasonal full time, but part-time winter work is also available with a two-year commitment. Hourly wage commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Farm work experience
- Excellent communication (both in person and via text)
- Ability to make decisions and lead effectively
- Interpersonal skills
- Willingness to communicate with diverse groups of people
- Positive attitude
- Able to stand on your feet, lift heavy loads, and do manual labor in all kinds of weather
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in execution of a yearly flower crop rotation plan including cover crops
- Planting, cultivating, irrigation, pest and disease control, mowing, greenhouse management, washing buckets, and especially harvesting flowers
- Overseeing work of seasonal staff, volunteers, seasonal interns
- Promoting the farm at farmers markets, farm activities, farm tours, and community events
- Supporting retail and wholesale sales of flowers