Farm to Fork Purchasing Associate The Common Market
- Date Posted March 18, 2019
- Location Philadelphia, PA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The Common Market is a nonprofit regional food distributor with a mission to connect communities with good food from sustainable family farms. We strive to improve food security, farm viability, and community and ecological health. Currently operating in the Mid-Atlantic, the Southeast, and Texas, The Common Market is expanding to other U.S. regions to build a nation of vibrant regional food systems.
Since 2008, we've aggregated and distributed over $22 million of local foods from over 200 sustainable small and mid-scale farmers. We partner with regional farmers and institutions (public and private schools, hospitals, early childcare centers, universities, senior centers, government agencies) to rebuild our local food economies, enabling rural and urban communities to thrive.Job description
The Common Market Mid-Atlantic seeks a Procurement Associate that will manage producer relationships and purchases of food products such as meat, eggs, dairy, seafood, fruit, vegetables and value-added goods. This is a position at a young location for the organization, meaning this position will play a key role in building upon a foundation for a rapidly growing, results-driven social enterprise.
We are looking for an individual who is knowledgeable in supply chain management, connected to the agriculture industry in the Mid-Atlantic (especially NY, NJ) highly motivated, and passionate about sustainable food. This position demands an individual who is a systems thinker and possesses the professionalism to organize and negotiate terms with vendors. Success in this position requires an extremely organized individual who is able to work independently with a sense of urgency and great attention to detail.
- Order with farmers and producers daily
- Develop new relationships and products to meet customer demand
- Manage relationships and logistics with The Common Market farmers and vendors
- Manage product planning throughout the year to ensure consistent product availability
- Work with farmers and producers to maintain quality specifications
- Assess the production practices of farmers and communicate with The Common Market
- Work with meat, eggs, dairy, seafood, vegetable, fruit and value-added producers
- Work with producers and the sales team to establish fair pricing
- Develop The Common Market’s sustainable sourcing policies and work with vendors to meet qualifications
- Warehouse duties such as packing customer orders, receiving shipments, loading trucks, and daily quality control checks.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience in agriculture, purchasing, and/or supply chain management
- 2-4 years’ experience in an agriculture-related field
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture and local food systems
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel)
- Experience and skilled in analyzing data using Excel
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Flexible work hours to accommodate some evening and weekend work
- Flexible work ethic to accommodate the challenges of a food business
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs