Lead Gardener The Home Ranch
- Date Posted March 21, 2019
- Location Clark, CO
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Summer Job
Set in the beautiful Elk River Valley in Clark, Colorado, The Home Ranch, part of the Relais and Chateaux family of hotels, is home to ranching, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, and people who have a general passion for the land and land stewardship. A primary focus of The Home Ranch is to give a guests the unique experience of tasting the finest foods and wines, while enjoying this unmatched landscape. In order to bring the freshest ingredients and flavors to the kitchen and then to the plate of our guests, the Home Ranch employs a team of dedicated garden gnomes - the Green Team - for everything from growing edible plants to dead heading each flower that grows around the lodge.
The Home Ranch's Horticulture program (also known as the Green Team) encompasses both small-scale farming and landscaping. Since its implementation in 2014, Clyde's Farm at The Home Ranch has been the forefront of where guests and employees learn about what it takes to implement a farm-to-table program. While providing the freshest ingredients to the kitchen, this program also strives toward sustainability and education. Taking each season as a learning experience, the farm and edible gardens have been able to produce upwards of 3,200 pounds of food since 2014. Our greenhouse helps extend the 55-day growing season and lets us grow everything from zucchini to artichokes. We grow plenty outside as well, with nothing short of hard work and dedication, we provide the kitchen with 90% of their salad greens throughout the summer.
The Home Ranch's Horticulture program also encompasses landscaping and detailed maintenance of the grounds that surround the main lodge and cabins. This includes watering, dead heading flower pots, weeding, mowing lawns and general upkeep of the grounds. This program is varied in its scope and requires a detail-oriented person to run the show. Standing on a strong foundation of sustainability, passion for growing, and years of experience, the Home Ranch is now seeking the next generation of plant lovers to carry the Horticulture program into its next season of growth.
To see pictures and learn more about Clyde's Farm at The Home Ranch, please visit: http://www.homeranch.com/farm/.
Full time seasonal (Summer 2019, roughly May-September)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
2. Able to motivate and act as a leader for others on the Green Team and the collective Home Ranch staff.
3. Ensure safe working environment.
4. Good communicator, both from management to staff and from staff to management.
5. Help train and guide staff in efficient project development and completion.
6. Manage time efficiently.
7. Work independently as well as with others.
8. Willingness to learn and research mitigation practices independently.
9. Work in variable weather conditions and supply own clothing and boots.
10. Work with employees on all aspects of greenhouse production: amending beds, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, washing produce, opening and closing down of the greenhouse.
11. Work with employees/coworkers caring for farm animals when needed.
12. Work with employees/coworkers on all landscape care, cut flower landscape maintenance and assembly, as well as maintenance projects for all CPM clients.
13. Able to identify noxious and invasive weeds in Clyde’s Farm and the general ranch vicinity, and feel comfortable controlling either with herbicide or mechanical removal. The lead gardener should also feel comfortable enough with this to teach and supervise the rest of the team in implementing the same actions on a daily basis.
14. Able to record plantings, weather events and other pertinent information on planting diagrams in garden log. Able to train others on the importance of recording information.
15. Able to stay through the entirety of the summer season, beginning in May and ending in September.