General Manager Soluna Garden Farm
- Date Posted April 22, 2019
- Location Boston, MA
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Soluna Garden Farm is a one-acre certified organic flower and herb farm in Winchester, Mass. Soluna Garden Farm is also a specialty food producer making globally inspired small-batch herb, spice, and tea blends. Our products appeal to a wide range of people, from gardeners, to tea drinkers, to food lovers and adventurous cooks, to health-conscious and environmentally conscious individuals and families. In our stall at the Boston Public Market, we serve hot and iced tea, chai lattes, and other specialty tea beverages, and we sell packaged herb, spice, and tea blends, cut flower bouquets and arrangements, potted herb and flower plants, fresh herbs, and seasonal herbal products. The Boston Public Market is an indoor, year-round marketplace for locally sourced groceries and specialty agricultural products. The market houses 40 local farmers, fishers, and food entrepreneurs. Everything sold at the market is produced or originates in New England. The Boston Public Market is a dynamic civic space, educating the public about food sources, nutrition, and preparation.Job description
We are adding a new member to our team as the General Manager of our stall at the Boston Public Market (BPM).
Responsibilities of the General Manager for Soluna Garden Farm in our stall at the Boston Public Market include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the owners and staff to ensure the smooth and effective functioning of all aspects of our stall at the Boston Public Market.
- Place weekly stock orders with our suppliers who deliver directly to BPM.
- Coordinate the flow of products and supplies between the BPM stall and our farm, commercial kitchen, and warehouse locations.
- Maintain equipment and coordinate service calls when needed.
- Train and oversee staff in the BPM stall to ensure that procedures are being followed; provide feedback to improve procedures, as needed.
- Educate staff on effective customer service practices and customer engagement.
- Work with our Marketing and Community Engagement Coordinator to plan and implement special activities for customer engagement, including sampling and demonstrations.
- Create an efficient, enjoyable, peaceful atmosphere for staff and customers.
In addition to your role as the General Manager, you will often have the same customer-facing retail responsibilities as all other team members while you are working in the stall at BPM. These responsibilities include:
- Prepare hot and iced tea, chai lattes, and other specialty tea beverages.
- Engage with customers in a pleasant and informative manner and educate them about our herb, spice, and tea blends.
- Maintain cut flowers and herb plants.
- Maintain a well-organized, safe, and sanitary retail and food-preparation environment for customers and coworkers.
- Perform retail sales through our Square point-of-sale system.
Required Skills and Experience
- Previous food service and retail experience.
- ServSafe certification (or willingness to get certification within the first month)
- Previous shift supervisor or management experience.
- Enthusiasm for engagement with customers
- Interest in and knowledge of tea, herbs, flowers, plants
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively in a group
- Ability to work well under pressure in a sometimes fast-paced environment
- Ability and willingness to take initiative
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations
- Detail oriented
- Professionalism, maturity, sincerity
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lift 50 lb and work on your feet for 8 hours.
You must able to make thoughtful, independent decisions while taking into consideration the needs of owners, staff, and customers. You are the kind of person who thrives on the energy of making customers happy by providing a joyful and educational experience to everyone who visits Soluna at BPM. You can deal with occasional difficult situations with calm confidence and fairness. When you see something that needs to be done, you take responsibility for ensuring that it gets done. We are hard-working and have high expectations yet are easy-going, flexible, and fun to work with; we expect the same from our staff.
This is a full-time, long-term position. This position is not seasonal; please do not apply unless you are interested in a long-term position in which you can play a meaningful role in the growth and success of our retail location in the Boston Public Market. You must be able to work on some Saturdays and Sundays, and some evening shifts.
Pay is commensurate with experience and includes paid time off and health insurance, with the possibility for increases and other incentives after six months. Generous employee discount, and you'll get to drink a lot of tea!
Soluna Garden Farm is an equal opportunity employer. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, other conditions of employment, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, contractors, vendors, and clients.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr + Application instructions