Assistant Vegetable Field Manager Empire Farm
- Date Posted April 10, 2019
- Location Copake, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
We are searching for an assistant farmer familiar with vegetable production practices to assist the Field Manager farm a 2 acre mixed vegetable garden that supplies the Empire Farm Store, culinary programming, events and wholesale accounts. The Assistant Field Manager is also responsible for assisting in maintaining a Pick-Your-Own Flower Garden and Educational Garden, as well as, managing 3 acres in summer cover and a small flock of laying hens. We are looking for a candidate who can start immediately and work through December, with the possibility of winter greenhouse work and a multi-season role. This is a full time position (40-50hrs/wk) and involves taking direction from Field Manager and giving direction and overseeing daily tasks with the field crew. We are looking for a candidate who is an enthusiastic and talented grower, self-directed, detail oriented, creative and generous of spirit.
- Assist Field Manager in implementing, managing and participating in all aspects of the vegetable and flower production: propagation, greenhouse management, field prep, transplanting, weed and pest management, harvest, wash/pack and post harvest handling.
- Assist implementing field crew schedules; monitor and be accountable for the progress of all fieldwork. Work alongside crew to ensure timely completion of daily tasks
- Work closely with the farm store manager, education director, event planner, chefs, etc. to generate weekly harvest lists.
- Assist Farm manager in maintaining all aspects of record-keeping including propagation, cultivation, orders and harvest records.
- Maintain a clean and safe field and wash/pack environment. This farm is open to the public. Qualifications:
- A minimum of two years experience with intensive, regenerative farming practices with demonstrated knowledge of crop rotation, cover cropping, IPM and soil fertility management.
- A minimum of one year supervisory experience
- Experience planning and managing work schedules; experience managing/directing staff
- Interest in farm-based education, community interaction and events
- Comfortable with spreadsheets and Google docs
- Good communication skills and a respectful management style
- Comfortably able to lift 50lbs
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to safely operate tractors and other farm equipment desired by not required