Market Gardener Trillium Brewing Company
- Date Posted April 17, 2019
- Location North Stonington, CT
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Trillium opened in March 2013 with the support of family, friends, community, and three employees. That small brewery has since developed into an exciting venue of collaboration and creativity. Trillium is grounded in the concept of a New England farmhouse brewery, using local ingredients whenever possible. From our wild ales, fermented with our native New England mixed microbe culture, to our more hop-forward offerings, we aim to produce beer that is both approachable and engaging.
The summer of 2018 we bought a beautiful farm in North Stonington, CT, less than two hours drive from our home in Boston and Canton. Trillium Farm & Brewery will mirror the same values we have always had- to be a reflection of the rich landscape and history of New England, while offering us an immense capacity to expand our community impact. Our intention is to brew estate-grown beers, establish an agriculture program to feed our restaurant and breweries, and create a destination for you to share experiences with us, family, and friends. Trillium is our way of life, we have a spirit and a culture that flows beyond the glass. Job description
Market Gardener for Trillium North Stonington Farm and Brewery
Trillium is an independent family-run hospitality business looking for an experienced and passionate Market Gardener to join our growing team! At Trillium, we believe in the intuitive beauty of the natural New England landscape, the comfort of a wood fire, and the joys of sharing great food and beer. We create space for people to share memorable experiences, pursuing our passions with integrity and a continuous drive to improve, innovate, and grow.
The Market Gardener will be a part of our first farming project at our property in North Stonington Connecticut. We are looking for a self motivated individual to execute our plans for this growing season. This position will help integrate our farm operations into the Trillium ecosystem which includes craft breweries, beer gardens, and a restaurant.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to Trillium Brewing Company's high standard for health and safety and respect for the land
- Establish a 1.4 acre Market Garden including preparing beds, building caterpillar tunnels, and establishing paths.
- Coordinating with the broader facilities team in planning for execution of initial plot construction
- Managing the planting, harvesting, and storing of crops to ensure best quality.
- Use of a full range of hand tools and agricultural machinery such as small tractors with accessories in a safe manner.
- Ensure all equipment and tools are in good safe working order, kept secure, clean, and returned to their storage location after use.
- Purchasing seeds and/or plants as well as other tools and supplies as necessary.
Planning and Record Keeping
- Keeping accurate records of purchases and updating budget.
- Keeping accurate records of farming activities.
- Identify and recommend any additional resources necessary to complete first season growing.
Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
Desired Qualifications and Abilities
Education and Experience
- Farm management coursework, diploma, or degree preferred
- Experience with crop management software
- Permanent, no-till bed establishment and management
- Biointensive market gardening techniques
- Experience and knowledge in growing fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers, and fruit
- Experience working with a wide variety of tools and agricultural equipment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Capable of working from plans provided
- Ability to stand, stoop, bend and lift items up to 55 lbs repetitively unassisted
- Ability to work extended periods without oversight
- Awareness of health and safety standards
- Good communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan work over an extended schedule