Fannin/Gilmer Co. Ag Extension Agent University of Georgia Extension +4 more
- Date Posted May 15, 2019
- Location Blue Ridge, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
University of Georgia Cooperative Extension has local offices in 158 counties across Georgia. We've built a reputation of providing trusted, science-based research and education through a network of committed specialists, agents, and volunteers. We offer summer internships, full and part-time professional and paraprofessional positions working in agriculture & natural resources, family & consumer sciences and 4-H & youth development programs.
UGA Cooperative Extension was founded in 1914 to bring research-based agricultural information to the people of Georgia. County agents and specialists throughout the state share information on issues like water quality, profitability in agribusiness, family wellness, and life skills. County agents provide soil and water test kits and instruction, advice on safe pesticide use, publications, computer programs and lessons in consumer skills to improve Georgians’ quality of life. They are the local experts in food safety, proper eating habits, child safety, and parenting. UGA Extension coordinates 4-H, Georgia’s largest youth program. Each year, almost 200,000 young Georgians participate in community projects, summer camps and conferences on today’s issues while having fun and learning to work together. The leadership skills and values they learn in 4-H last a lifetime. UGA Extension reaches more than 2.6 million Georgians through education programs each year. Millions more rely on UGA Extension’s publications, educational news articles and public television programming for advice and information.
This position will provide educational programming in the Agricultural & Natural Resources (ANR) area to Fannin and Gilmer Counties. Fannin and Gilmer Counties have a combined Farm Gate value of over $224 million dollars according to the 2017 Georgia Farm Gate Value report. A county based ANR Agent brings the University or Georgia resources to this community to help It build upon its already functioning poultry, Agritourism, fruit and nut production, ornamental plants, row crops and forages, and livestock Industries. Fannin and Gilmer Counties have a combined $180 million In poultry production, $10.1 M in Agritourism, $9.4 M In fruit and nut production, $1.1 M in ornamental horticulture and $6 M in row crop and forage production In 2017. This Agent position Is one of three faculty members fully assigned lo the Fannin and Gilmer County offices.
This position requires frequent night meetings, some weekend work, and attendance at out-of-county meetings. A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable private vehicle for official duty travel are required. Reimbursement for business travel will be provided. Transportation of others including 4-H Youth and Adult Clientele is also a common and necessary function of the job. 4-H competitions, overnight camps, and other events are conducted at district and state levels and necessitate travel and transport of participants.
A Master’s degree is preferred. A Bachelor’s degree is acceptable for a Public Service Provisional appointment. This provisional faculty classification is offered for no more than three years without review.Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
-Computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
-Ability to speak to/teach large groups of residents
-Ability to organize and carry out activities and programming for youth
-Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county, district, and state staff, local government employees, and clientele
-Ability to show high standards of professionalism in personal contacts, appearance, and work habits
-Ability to express thoughts clearly and concisely through written and verbal communication
-Ability to work as a team member and engage with groups and committees
-Ability to design, coordinate, and teach educational programs to meet community needs
-Skills in leadership and management
Responsible for managing the Agricultural & Natural Resources program in Gilmer/Fannin Counties by providing educational opportunities in production agriculture, horticulture, and natural resources to a wide variety of audiences utilizing multiple teaching methods:
• Utilizes the expertise of and works closely with advisory groups, community leaders, public officials and representatives of intended audiences to analyze data, identify needs, and assist in developing educational programs
• Develops plan of work that is equitable in meeting the needs of the county’s varied socio-economic population
• Develops and conducts relevant interdisciplinary programs with other staff members based on critical issues
• Collaborates with other agencies and community groups to plan and implement programs
• Conducts promotional efforts to expand the public’s view of extension programming
• Utilizes current research data and information on emerging issues in program development and teaching
• Demonstrates personal interest and involvement in community by participating in and supporting civic/community activities/organizations and networking with community leaders
• Ensures the Civil Rights/Equal Opportunity plan of UGA Cooperative Extension is followed and that volunteers and clientele understand Cooperative Extension offers educational programs, assistance, and materials to all people without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline