Cheesemonger Foster Sundry +1 more
- Date Posted June 23, 2019
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job Type Full-Time
Foster Sundry is an artisan cheese counter, whole animal butcher, cafe and specialty grocer in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
We're the place where you can walk in and drink a beer while buying a pasture-raised steak and a hunk of clothbound cheddar; where you can grab a cup of coffee and ask questions about biodynamic farming methods; where you can stop in just to sample some gouda and walk out with plan for dinner and a new favorite food. We strive to be the local destination for really good ingredients with down-to-earth customer service and a warm and welcoming environment that encourages people to come in, come back, and hang out. Meat. Cheese. Awesome.
We want the best cheese counter in New York City, full stop. Above all, we value trust, authenticity, and quality - both up and down the supply chain. We aim to genuinely know our farmers and producers, not just by rote name and location. Human relationships with our purveyors are paramount; the same goes for our customers. To further build and support this industry, we have an obligation to put the best cheese we possibly can in our customers’ mouths. This is the promise of Foster Sundry.
RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIREMENTS:
- Providing superlative cut-to-order cheese and charcuterie service
- Unloading and receiving deliveries of cheese and specialty food
- Keeping a detailed batch log with tasting notes, etc.
- Organizing and maintaining a clean, safe walk-in
- Maintaining the highest level of food safety and sanitation
- Providing excellent customer service without fail
- Assisting with cheese-related product ordering
- Exhibiting a desire to build a community around food and food service in Bushwick, and to participate in the larger cheese industry community
- Occasionally supporting the beer and coffee counter or other areas in the store
- Processing, stickering and stocking deliveries of specialty food
- 1+ years experience as a cheesemonger. CCP certification a plus
- A positive attitude and an enthusiastic desire to provide excellent customer service
- A diligent approach to safety and sanitation. ServSafe (or analogous) certification a plus
- A team player with a willingness to jump in and help with all tasks.
- A self-starter and hard worker.Working knowledge of specialty cheese, meat, and grocery, or a willingness to learn
- A willingness to learn and grow as a cheesemonger, and advance one’s skills and knowledge of the industry
- Desire to help build something from the ground up, and make it truly awesome.
- Flexibility in scheduling, including mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Meticulous, punctual and detail oriented.
- Passion for the principles of sustainable food and farming
- Ability to lift 40+ lbs and spend 8+ hours standing
COMPENSATION: This position is hourly. Compensation is dependent upon experience. A competitive benefits package is offered. Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, $15/hr or more How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline