- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Research Director Rodale Institute
- Date Posted July 18, 2019
- Location Chattahoochee HIlls, GA
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The Scientist is responsible for facilitating and implementing research activities at the Southeast Organic Center with input from departmental staff and project collaborators.
Key responsibilities of this position will include designing and leading research/projects focused on advancing regenerative organic agriculture in the southeastern United States. Administrative duties will include project implementation, monitoring and evaluation,, and staff monitoring and supervision. Additional key responsibilities will include the publication of peer reviewed articles, outreach and education, relationship building and grant writing to secure working funds.
This position reports directly to the Chief Scientist in Kutztown, PA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and execute critical research projects related to Rodale Institute’s Mission.
- Organize a research base focusing on soil health and the links between soil health and human health. This could include any or all of the following: side by side comparisons of organic and conventional production, cover crop and reduced tillage systems experiments, nutrient quality analysis of grains/vegetables, milk quality analysis, weed management, compost, and the integration of livestock/grazing and cash crop systems.
- Build professional relationships to advise, define, and foster the expansion of research priorities in the southeast US.
- Review scientific literature and publications of peers continually to keep current on research..
- Set up on-farm trials and demonstrations to address relevant, current, cutting-edge research topics and questions that will benefit regional farmers, researchers, extension agents and the greater scientific community.
- Evaluate trial protocols and indicators in terms of their potential to assess soil health or impact the transition of farms and farmers to organic.
- Collect, process and analyze data in a professional manner. Interpret and report results.
- Ensure that our commitments to partnerships are completed according to our contracts and agreements.
- Work closely with farm operations staff to ensure high quality field research.
- Successfully write grants in partnership with Rodale Institutes grant office
- Communicate regularly with departmental staff at Rodale Institute’s home office.
- Lead project team to achieve research/project goals.
- Prepare and present periodic updates and status reports to Rodale Institute’s Executive Director and Chief Scientist on programs and projects.
- Ensure continuous performance improvement.
- Adequately supervise Regional Resource Center research staff to ensure timely execution and completion of project goals, to include exemplary research planning, execution of experiments, reporting, and assessment and publication of project results.
- Work with related department staff members in program monitoring/development, creation of publications, and education and outreach activities, and in linking the farmer networks.
- Ensure adequate resources and sufficient technical guidance to achieve project success in keeping with Rodale Institute goals and objectives.
- Facilitate outside collaboration when possible in all aspects of the research.
- Participate in the hiring and training of project personnel.
- Foster a professional, creative, and enjoyable working environment that is sensible and enhances the synergies of the multicultural and diverse staff of the Institute.
- Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with representatives from diverse organizations.
- Report directly to Chief Scientist.
- Assist in interpreting/disseminating information about our research project work to varied audiences including scientists, farmers, extension, entrepreneurs, policy makers, and the general public.
- Present scientific results from research trials at organic/sustainable agriculture industry conferences, workshops and trade shows.
- Provide informational tours about our research programs to interested visitors as requested.
- Prepare and give invited oral presentations to scientific community, governmental decision-makers, private environmental groups and farmers on soil health management and assessment and other research topics as requested.
- Develop and assist with the publication of research papers, invited book chapters and interpretive publications to promote the Institute’s Mission.
- Provide farmers, extension agents and compost producers with guidelines in print, web, video, webinar and field day/conference formats.
- Maintain currency with scientific publications on soil health, regenerative and organic agriculture.
- Ensure that Rodale Institute research publications are commonly cited by scientists and researchers.
- Make our research accessible to farmers and the general public.
- Research, develop and write grant proposals to support projects and to obtain funds for existing and future projects within the existing framework of the department’s mandate.
- While working with the Senior Development Director, submit at least 4 grant proposals per year to State, Federal, Foundational, or corporate funding sources
- Plan, monitor, and oversee specific project budgets and grants expenses.
- Formulate a budget that represents current projects and future objectives. Meet with the Finance Director and Executive Director quarterly to review status of programs and proposals.
- Prepare weekly/quarterly/annual grant reports as required by funding partners.
- PhD. in crop, soil, or weed science, horticulture, systems ecology, biology, microbiology or other related field.
- 2+ years’ management experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel regionally and nationally.
- Demonstrated success in receiving grant proposals for related programs and projects.
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal communication skills, with all audiences.
This position will require periodic travel.
OTHER RODALE INSTITUTE EXPECTATIONS:
Be honest, respectful and take ownership of our work and mission.
this position is : salaried, 50k to 100k