Communications and Media Coordinator Rural Coalition
- Date Posted February 05, 2020
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Media / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
With our strong roots in the movements for human, civil, indigenous, and farmworker rights, Rural Coalition/Coalición Rural members share the belief that rural communities everywhere can have a better future and that community-based organizations who have long served the needs of rural communities and people have a fundamental role in building that future. Investments in their work will provide important returns to our
economy, our ecology, and our society. Job description
Our Communications and Media Coordinator will guide Rural Coalition’s external communications and social media to deliver clear and dynamic messages in Spanish and English. We seek a creative and capable practitioner with the experience and understanding to increase the visibility of RC’s work among a variety of stakeholders including the media, policy makers and our member constituencies.
The qualified candidate should support our organizational mission with a commitment to social justice and equity, attention to detail, and demonstrated ability to relate to our constituency. As a member of our team, the Communications and Media Coordinator will distribute and track RC content (e.g., press releases, newsletters, blogs, video- narratives) and collaborate with our program team in Washington, DC and beyond to develop original content and a narrative strategy that amplifies the voices of our rural communities.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the energy, experience and enthusiasm essential to coordinate communication and media efforts that promote economic and social justice as well as the ability to:
- Connect our members, partners and allies to the work and impact of the organization, our rural leaders and their vision for the organization.
- Amplify members’ voices and support a shared sense of Rural Coalition’s collaborative work and collective identity.
- Develop and implement communications strategies that are aligned with the organization’s principles of collaboration and our shared strategic goals, including activities ranging from our grassroots policy development to membership engagement and fundraising.
- Drive creative, interpretive content developed to engage diverse audiences in Spanish and English.
- Liaise with RC leadership teams, including the Farm and Ranch Team, and the Farm Policy Team, while also supporting DC office priorities each week.
Distribution and Engagement 50%
- Acts as liaison between RC leaders, staff and media by:
o Building and managing relationships with members of the media and other stakeholders (policy makers, CBOs, etc.) o Providing input to program staff on public relations opportunities o Booking press appearances and interviews for RC staff o Organizing RC media events o Understanding current media trends and topics o Tracking media coverage
- Maintains and monitors RC’s digital presence through email bulletins and newsletters, social media, website content, outside Listservs and any other sources identified
- Monitors digital analytics to be reported to the staff with recommendations for extending our reach
- Assists in the editing and distribution of press releases and other externally facing materials, including research articles and data collection instruments
Communications Planning and Narrative Strategy 10%
- Contributes to communications planning and narrative strategy
- Along with the Federal Projects Coordinator, Policy and Advocacy Coordinator, and Research Director, develops and coordinates internal communication systems with program staff to identify audience and optimal communications platforms for distribution
- Collaborates with fundraising staff members to ensure distribution of relevant communications to funders
- Responsible for video shooting and editing
- Assists Federal Projects Coordinator, Policy and Advocacy Coordinator, and Research Director in creation of RC’s communication products, i.e. print materials, mass emails, podcasts, video, website, etc.
- Assists with technical execution of RC events
Consistent Messaging and Brand Management 20%
- Assists program staff in creation and execution of RC organizational messaging
- Ensures consistency of RC branding on all current externally facing material
- Works with partner organizations and outside contractors to manage RC’s brand on third party material
- Ensures RC’s externally facing work is at its highest quality
Qualities and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles and priorities of the Rural Coalition and cultural competence needed to work with our diverse membership
- At least two years of experience working in media, communications, or public relations fields
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills in Spanish and English
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and capable of meeting short term deadlines while advancing multiple projects with long term goals
- Background and familiarity with agriculture, and rural and diverse land-based communities is strongly preferred.
- Creative, demonstrably committed and enthusiastic about equity and justice in agriculture, immigration, climate and other rural concerns
- Knowledge of website content management, social media, and media tracking analytics tools
- Proficiency in MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and high level of comfort with other digital tools and databases (e.g., Donor Perfect, Constant Contact, SquareSpace and/or Word Perfect)
- Fluency in technologies and communication mechanisms that support remote teams, including file sharing, web-based meetings, conference calls, and emerging technologies
- High level of professionalism and exceptional interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member as well as the ability to work independently in a team environment.
- Experience conducting outreach and promotion to media outlets
- Previous videography experience
- Live in Washington DC metropolitan area
- Willingness to travel periodically to many interesting rural communities is required. Valid driver’s license is preferred.
Benefits and Compensation:
Salary for this position in the mid to high fifties based on qualifications and experience. Compensation also includes medical and dental insurance (full for employee, 80% for children, up to 50% for spouse/partner), paid vacation and holidays, sick leave, life and short and long
term disability insurance.