Farm Intern Hickory Nut Gap Farm
- Date Posted June 09, 2020
- Location Fairview, NC
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job type Full-Time
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Feeding pigs, cows, goats, chickens, and turkeys as needed
- Fence repair and pasture/fence line mowing
- Assisting with farrowing
- General livestock care as needed
- Farmers market sales
- Pruning apple trees and berry bushes
- Equipment maintenance and repairs
- Repairing water lines and electric fencing
- Poultry processing
- Operation of equipment such as tractors and skid steer
- Hauling livestock
- General landscaping duties such as mowing, weedeating, mulching, etc.
- Application of pest control measures for organic produce
- Hand weeding/mulching berries and asparagus
- Leading field trips and tours
- Daily animal feeding chores
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Ability to accept responsibility for one’s actions and remain accountable
- Demonstrates strong initiative of projects and assignments ensuring duties are carried out to completion in a responsible manner
- Is punctual, arriving on-time, every time. Punctuality is crucial for livestock to thrive.
- Maintains a positive attitude. Accepts changing tasks and assignments with friendly, positive demeanor and adopts a “can-do” attitude
- Ask lots of questions- this is a learning opportunity, we expect lots of questions.
- Willingness to ask for clarity in confusing situations
- Demonstrates a strong curiosity
- Willingness to try new things
- Demonstrates a level of contagious team spirit
- Possesses a mature behavior
- Demonstrates good decision making
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently
Position reports to the on-site production manager(s) and is expected to operate under moderate supervisory involvement, depending on the task and the intern’s knowledge and ability to complete the task. The CEO and all other staff remain available for information, advice, guidance, or assistance if needed and may provide training, coaching, and feedback when appropriate with the approval of the intern’s direct supervisor.
Physical demands for this position are high. There is considerable walking, lifting, bending, operation of machinery, animal coordination, and the like on a consistent daily basis. Applicants should be in good physical health with the ability to perform physical tasks at a moderate to high level.
Interns work primarily outdoors in all types of weather and should be expected to perform duties rain or shine. Interns are granted access to various farm equipment and will be trained on safe use proper operating practices prior to entrusting with unsupervised usage.Compensation this position is : stipend / non-monetary compensation
Details: Item. Annual Total Value Salary $9,000.00 Rent $6,000.00 Internet $900.00 Electricity $1,500.00 Meat + Mrkt $1,560.00 Family Meal $480.00 Merchandise $100.00 Go Local $18.00 Conferences $250 Total $19,808.00 Application instructions