Farm Store Cook Berea College
- Date Posted September 04, 2020
- Location Berea, KY
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Berea College achieved national distinction as the first coeducational and interracial college in the South. With an emphasis on service to the people of Appalachia and beyond, Berea enrolls 1,600 students from 40 states and 70 countries. The College has along standing commitment to interracial education; here, people of different races seek to learn from and about each other, while also living together.
Berea is among the most racially diverse private liberal arts colleges in the United States. It admits only students whose families are unable to afford the high cost of tuition and awards each of them a Tuition Promise Scholarship, meaning no student ever pays tuition. Berea’s students excel in the College’s supportive but demanding academic environment, and many are the first in their families to graduate from college. The College is one of nine federally recognized Work Colleges, and all students hold a position in which they work 10-12 hours per week. Washington Monthly Magazine has consistently ranked Berea in the top 3 of Liberal Arts Colleges for its success in educating and graduating academically talented, low-income students who become service-oriented leaders in their professions and communities; in 2016 and 2017, the magazine ranked it number 1.
Located where the Bluegrass Region meets the Cumberland Mountains, the town of Berea (pop. 15,000) lies forty miles south of Lexington and is approximately two hours from Cincinnati, Louisville, and Knoxville. More information about Berea College is available at www.berea.edu.
Berea College, in light of its mission in the tradition of impartial love and social equality, welcomes all people of the earth to learn and work here.
Berea College is always looking for talented, self-motivated individuals to join our team. If you think you are ready to be a part of an exciting team, then we encourage you to continue with this applicant friendly, online job application!
Berea College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
The Line Cook is a full-time position that will play a key role in contributing to our customer satisfaction and acquisition goals. The Line Cook reports directly to the Farm Store Manager. The Line Cook prepares food and set-up stations for menu. Duties will assist the Farm Store Manager with daily tasks.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education required to ensure success in this position:
• High School and two years of course work (or equivalent). Undergraduate degree, preferred.
Experience required to ensure success in this position:
• Five or more years related experience
Special skills, knowledge and abilities:
• Excellent oral/written communication and superior interpersonal skills with the ability to work collegially and collaboratively in a team setting and the ability to interact effectively with visitors
• Strong organizational skills and capacity to set priorities. Attention to detail
• Resolves issues, analyzes information and makes recommendations
• Ability to work independently on multiple, complex tasks and priorities
License, certification, or registration necessary:
• Valid Driver’s License
• Required background checks
• Ability to navigate campus/public buildings and grounds
• Ability to travel independently by car and/or plane
• Ability to occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
• Kitchen/Store environment with interruptions and noise due to frequent visitors, students, staff, or faculty.
Ability to operate the following vehicles or equipment:
• Ability to operate kitchen equipment
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Regular and predictable attendance is essential. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Properly learn and execute all recipe procedures
• Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by cleaning work areas, equipment and utensils; segregating and removing garbage; following sanitation standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
• Enhances kitchen and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests
• Works alongside fellow kitchen staff to manage kitchen, efficiently complete preparatory tasks, assist in training opportunities, and execute menu implementation.
• Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
Other roles/duties will be assigned as necessary to assist the College in the attainment of the goals set forth and the enhancement of a positive, respectful learning environment for all staff, faculty and students. Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions