Farm to School Coordinator Rural Health Network of SCNY
- Date Posted November 16, 2020
- Location Binghamton, NY
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
General Duties and Responsibilities: The Farm to School Coordinator will play a key role supporting the growth and sustainability of farm to school programs in a multi-county region through direct implementation and technical assistance. The Coordinator will work closely with school and community stakeholders to increase local purchasing and access to healthy school meals, support regional farm and food system development, and enhance learning opportunities for students and the community. This position will take approximately one year to master.
The Coordinator will support the full range of farm to school programming, from farm and food business outreach and training through interactive learning opportunities for students. The Coordinator will also assist with broad program coordination, partnership development, program evaluation, and reporting. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist participating school districts with all aspects of developing and implementing local purchasing strategies for school meals, including: preparing geographic preference bids, supporting menu planning and recipe development, and conducting student taste tests.
- Work with NY farms, processors, food hubs, and distributors to identify available products for schools and provide assistance and training as necessary to facilitate farm to school sales and expand wholesale opportunities for producers.
- Identify creative strategies and opportunities to establish efficient, sustainable transportation options to distribute NY products to schools.
- Provide training for food service and other school staff and partners as needed to support implementation of farm to school activities.
- Convene project partners and facilitate regular planning and evaluation meetings.
- Coordinate regular information sharing between project stakeholders to support geographic preference bids, menu planning, recipe development, and other program management and deliverables.
- Work closely with BOCES Food Service to develop marketing materials to promote farm to school and local foods within the cafeteria and throughout schools.
- Increase the visibility and impact of farm to school programs through online and other outreach strategies. This includes regularly contributing content for newsletters, website, and social media, and presenting at meetings and conference workshops.
- Work closely with program partners to develop and coordinate learning opportunities for students to engage with their local food systems.
- Provide supervision and support to Farm to School AmeriCorps members.
- Participate in regional and statewide farm to school networks and relevant trainings.
- Collect, track, maintain, and analyze data on local procurement and program activities across all participating school districts.
- Provide quarterly program reports on project activities and outcomes for funders.
- Assist the Food and Health Network Director with grant writing and other resource development activities.
- Serve as a member of the Rural Health Network of South Central NY (RHNSCNY) staff team and seek ways to continuously improve and support the work the RHNSCNY. Seek tangible, effective ways to integrate and apply all RHNSCNY services to provide the maximum benefit to those served.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience working in local food systems, sustainable agriculture, farm and food businesses, food service, public health, education related fields is required. A strong interest and knowledge in community based food systems; understanding of NY climate and growing season; knowledge of farm to school coordination and programming; the school food system and federal school meal program; knowledge of equity work and inequalities; and an understanding of the K-12 educational system is preferred.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and work well with partners. Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders, and a strong team-oriented style. Facilitative leadership skills with experience and knowledge of community development.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills - ability to adapt communication style and content to a variety of audiences.
- Strong organizational and planning skills; ability to prioritize work assignments and multi-task; ability to delegate tasks and guide their completion; and willingness to innovate, problem solve and seek innovative solutions is required.
- Program administration experience, including maintaining meticulous records and managing program tracking.
- Proficiency with programs including Gmail, Microsoft Office and Google Drive, including Google Sheets for maintaining data, is required. Experience with MailChimp, WordPress, social media platforms, and design tools are beneficial.
Position is based in Binghamton, NY but is primarily remote due to COVID-19. Position requires a valid NYS Driver’s license. Some travel, primarily in Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Tioga and Tompkins Counties (with reimbursement for mileage) is required for this position.
This position is full time, 40hrs/week, hourly, non-exempt with benefits. Annual compensation is $35,000 - $37,000 based on experience and qualifications.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions