Farm Education Manager Gaining Ground
- Date Posted November 17, 2020
- Location Concord, MA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Gaining Ground uses regenerative practices centering around soil health and fertility and creating diversity on the farm. The farm has been recognized for bio-intensive farming practices and is part of no-till studies led by NOFA, MDAR, and USDA/NRCS, testing the soil health and nutrients of the produce.
Alongside our focus on no-till farming, Gaining Ground has incorporated four hoop houses for season extension to increase the impact and amount of food grown.Job description Gaining Ground is a nonprofit, no-till organic farm in Concord, Massachusetts. We are currently seeking a full-time, seasonal Farm Education Manager.
- Works on the farm each morning, harvesting and managing the wash station on distribution days
- Greets and guides volunteers on the farm, alongside and at the direction of the Farm Manager. Acts as the main on-site contact for volunteers and groups
- Leads and works alongside volunteers of all ages and abilities on a regular basis. (Gaining Ground adheres to strict COVID-19 safety standards)
- Wears many hats; serves as a bridge between the farmers and volunteers
- Staffs two weekly farmer’s markets in rotation with other farm crew
- Leads the “Read for Seeds” program with local schools
- Assists with volunteer scheduling in conjunction with the Program Manager
- Represents GG at occasional events, conferences, and in various outreach activities
- Works with the farm crew in all aspects of maple sugaring production.
- Assists with greenhouse work, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, and all aspects of operating a small farm
- Regular Tuesday - Saturday schedule from April thru October
- Watering/Farm chores 1 Sunday per month
- Strong interpersonal and teaching skills. Should have the desire and ability to share a passion for organic farming and knowledge of sustainable agriculture with volunteers and visitors
- Interest in or experience with no-till farming practices
- Familiarity with regenerative farming practices
- Ability to work independently, as well as with farm managers and other members of a small team
- Ability to lead and work alongside volunteers on a regular basis
- Comfortable interacting with an active board and office staff, and interacting with recipient groups
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and perform repetitive physical tasks in all types of weather conditions (cold, heat, rain, etc.)
- Organized, punctual, and attentive to detail
- Self-motivated and curious to learn and develop farming methods
- A desire to produce food of the highest nutritional and ecological quality, and to continue to learn and grow as a person and farmer. Continuous personal development is encouraged and supported at Gaining Ground.
- A calm, grounded presence.
- Deep humility and a good sense of humor
- Position requires working on Saturdays
- A valid driver’s license
- Cell phone communication
- Reliable transportation
- Satisfactory background and reference checks, as this position requires working directly with volunteers of all ages and abilities.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- This position will provide a competitive salary based on the market and the applicant’s experience, among other factors. Typically, an annual evaluation will be conducted, at which time compensation levels are reviewed.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Personal and professional development opportunities in consultation with the executive director.
- The opportunity to work, learn, inspire, and be inspired alongside dedicated staff and board on a beautiful organic farm in a unique community!
Gaining Ground is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, or marital status.Compensation this position is : salaried Application instructions