Bookkeeper Groundswell Center for Local Food an
- Date Posted November 18, 2020
- Location Ithaca, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Position Available: Bookkeeper
Application Deadline: Applications are being accepted until November 29, 2020.
Position Start Date: December 21, 2020
Employment terms: This is a part-time, year-round contract position, typically requiring 5-10 hours/week. The position is remote until further notice due to COVID guidelines and precautions. When restrictions are lifted, the position may be done remotely though requires regular travel to the Ithaca, NY office.
Salary & Benefits: $35-45/hour, paid monthly. As an Independent Contractor, this position is not eligible to receive benefits.
Groundswell Center for Local Food & Farming is a small agriculture education and food justice nonprofit based in Ithaca, NY and serving the broader Finger Lakes Region. Our core work is to foster a multicultural and diverse next generation of sustainable farmers and growers by lessening common barriers to land access, resources and business ownership.
This position is responsible for all of Groundswell’s bookkeeping, supports financial administration of the organization, and reports directly to the Executive Director.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Bookkeeping & Financial Administration
- Utilize Quickbooks Online (QBO) to record all expenses and income and match with corresponding account numbers and funding source codes
- Process invoices and payments via written checks, QBO, online bill pay and credit card payments on a weekly basis
- Make check deposits at Alternatives Federal Credit Union (AFCU), and process deposits made from 3rd party sources (ie Stripe, PayPal, etc) on a weekly basis
- Reconcile bank accounts at AFCU and credit card. Make transfers between accounts as necessary to maintain adequate balance in operating account
- Process payroll ensuring proper cost center allocation through payroll company interface on a biweekly basis and enter new employees into the system when hired
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reporting to Executive Director & Board
- Opportunity but not required for Leadership involvement on the Board and/or Finance Committee
- Assist Executive Director with cash flow projections and grant reporting financial requirements
- Very occasionally assist Executive Director w/ securing funding as needed
- Prepare and send 1099's annually
- Perform all necessary audits for various insurance policies
- Prepare QBO and close out fiscal year in preparation for tax accountant
- Attend monthly Finance Committee meetings (1 hour/ month)
Supervision received: Direct supervision is provided by Groundswell Center Executive Director
Supervision provided: None
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Very experienced with Quickbooks, Quickbooks Online, and Excel
- Experience in nonprofit bookkeeping and financial administration is ideal
- Basic understanding of GAAP and reading and interpreting financial statements
- collaborative and excited to work with a nonprofit team
- Highly organized; able to juggle multiple projects
- Exceptional ability to manage deadlines and priorities
- Strong ability to communicate clearly via email, on phone, and in-person (when possible)
- comfortable with new technologies; willing and able to learn new systems quickly
- The ideal candidate is interested in Groundswell’s mission of sustainable farming and addressing food system inequalities
- While the bulk of the position may be done remotely, the candidate will need to travel to Ithaca as much as once a week to pick-up checks and other documents requiring attention.
Minimum Formal Education: 4-year degree in Business Management, Accounting or the equivalent work experience
Groundswell is an equal opportunity, living wage employer. Employees are hired based on their merit, ability, experience, and training without regard to race, creed, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, or disability. People of Color and food justice activists are encouraged to apply.
Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Location job can be done remotely Application instructions