Production Manager Weckerly's Ice Cream
- Date Posted January 01, 2021
- Location Philadelphia, PA
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Our aim is to be closely connected to our ingredients while making positive connections with as many people as possible. We believe that strong local food systems are inextricable from sustainability and social good. We also believe that ice cream makes people happy. Philadelphia is our home. A place where we can build relationships with nearby farms while being great neighbors and agents of joy.
Weckerly’s Ice Cream was born in 2012, the brainchild of Pastry Chef, Jen Weckerle. Originally nestled in the back of a neighborhood café in West Philadelphia, Weckerly’s blossomed into a “micro-creamery” churning out of Globe Dye Works, a repurposed textile plant in North Philadelphia.
From the beginning, we sought to build relationships with local farmers and purveyors to better understand our ingredients and how to build recipes that best reflect them. These ingredients define our ice cream so we strive to capture their best qualities from bold to nuanced flavors. We knew that this would require taking a different path than the majority of ice cream makers, we knew we would need to produce our own ice cream mix. So, we built a tiny dairy plant where we not only make our ice cream, but pasteurize the milk, cream, eggs, and sugar to create our own base for each of our recipes.
We tacked a bakery on as well. It’s a space where Jen and the team can experiment with new mix-ins, and ensure that each ice cream sandwich is nestled between two perfect cookies.Job description
We're a Philadelphia Ice Cream company looking to hire a production manager at our urban creamery.
The Production Manager is ultimately responsible for establishing and maintaining the weekly production schedule. This means working with the business owners and other managers to forecast our needs on a 2-3 week basis, plan menus, order ingredients, and schedule and delegate each stage of production to meet fulfillment deadlines. There are 3-4 people who would report directly to the Production Manager and would rely on that individual for guidance and support.
No ice cream specific experience is needed. We are looking for a highly organized individual with excellent communication skills and an empathetic approach to leadership.
- Quality Control for product, packaging, and presentation.
- Planning menu and setting production schedule.
- Training new employees.
- Coordinating kitchen staff.
- Providing assistance, support, and necessary on-job training for kitchen staff.
- Stocktaking ingredients, packaging, and small wares - placing orders as needed.
- Schedule regular maintenance for equipment and facilities.
- Upholding best practices for safety and sanitation.
- Documenting new and updated recipes.
- Work with owners, other managers, and creamery staff to make process improvements, product changes, and resolve issues as they arise.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Effective communicator who is energized by working collaboratively with others.
- Full-time Monday-Friday availability.
- 5+ years of culinary or food production experience.
- ServSafe or comparable safe food handling training.
- Facility with spreadsheets and scheduling tools.
- Leadership experience with a focus on managing a team.
- Excitement about food!
Some regular functions of the job include:
- Maintaining systems that ensure proper daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning and sanitation.
- Ordering ingredients and supplies from multiple vendors in a manner that assures products will be made on schedule with little to no food or material waste.
- Reporting maintenance needs and equipment issues promptly to the owners.
- Scheduling shifts for the production team and managing requests for time off.
- Delegating daily tasks to meet production schedule goals.
- Tracking ingredient and supply costs.
- Working directly with owners, baker, and retail shop manager to create a two to three week production schedule, refreshed on a weekly basis.
- Act as a first point of contact for any work or personal/interpersonal issues among production staff.
- Direct supervision of all food preparation and production tasks.
- Making sure that all food and ingredients are stored safely and in compliance with FIFO.