Field Production Coordinator Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
- Date Posted April 17, 2021
- Location Carnation, WA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Our mission is to inspire people to eat healthy, sustainably grown food and to steward our natural resources for future generations.
WHAT WE DO
Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center is located on 230 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River. We use this mixed landscape to:
Produce food. We cultivate 12 acres of certified organic mixed vegetable crops, herbs, and flowers using agro-ecological principles and engage in research to inform conservation agriculture practices. We grow food for local grocery stores, restaurants, hunger relief, a CSA program, and an on-site seasonal Farm Stand.
Grow native plants. We operate a native plant nursery that uses sustainable growing methods to produce plants for habitat restoration projects and urban landscapes. We share our knowledge to encourage increased production and use of natives in the Pacific Northwest, and beyond.
Connect children to nature. We offer education programs for children pre-K through high school to build environmental literacy and provide students with opportunities to learn about the links between agriculture, conservation, and the environment.
Restore and sustain habitat. We carry out ecological restoration projects and partner with scientists, regional planners, and other environmental organizations to learn how humans can benefit from the land while protecting biodiversity.
Cultivate community. We offer people of all ages opportunities to put their values into action as we promote climate resilience and encourage healthy food systems. We foster community through volunteer opportunities, Membership, a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, workshops & tours, and special events.Job description
The Field Production Coordinator supports all aspects of Oxbow’s farm operations with a primary focus on organizing and overseeing the daily workflow of the Farm’s field crew. The position plays a role in identifying weekly farm priorities and management of day to day projects to ensure field cultivation, planting, irrigation, weeding, and vegetable harvests are successfully performed throughout the growing season. This position also plays a critical role in facilitating effective communication throughout the farm team.
This is a regular, full-time position, with a competitive compensation package, including 100% employer paid healthcare, annual dental stipend, generous holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
Crew coordination – coordinate and supervise daily tasks of Oxbow’s field crew, including:
- Assist in establishment of weekly field production priorities and the development of weekly work schedules
- Clearly communicate weekly and daily priorities to the field crew
- Set reasonable work pace for crew members and work with individuals to improve their focus, technique, and pace
- Act as a point of contact to answer production questions as they develop throughout the day
- Help to establish a positive and nurturing work environment for each all members of the field crew
- Relay relevant information regarding crew performance and questions to farm management
Equipment and facilities – assist the manager and assistant manager to ensure inventory and upkeep of Oxbow’s farm equipment, materials, tools, and season extension facilities
- Work closely with field crew members to ensure that all equipment and facilities expectations are upheld and adhered to
- Communicate necessary equipment and facilities information to both farm management and facilities staff in a timely manner
Farming and gardening – under the supervision of and in close collaboration with the farm manager, responsible for coordinating and performing the following:
- Field Planting
- Ensure timely planting of field crops ensuring the health of transplants
- Coordinate the preparations of fields and beds for field planting in relation to field planting schedules and weekly workflows
- Field Cultivation
- Initial tillage and field preparation for direct seeding, transplanting, and cover cropping
- Weed management, both of mechanical and manual nature
- All hands-on aspects of season extension and pest prevention through the use of cultural practices in the field
- Management of irrigation infrastructure and materials, including storage, inventory, repair, and upkeep
- Schedule irrigation delivery based on crop needs, planting dates, and harvest and cultivation schedules
- Harvest operations
- Schedule and pace in the field during harvest days
- Perform in the field quality control of product being harvested and communicate farm quality standards to field crew
- Communicate any harvest nuances to field crew and management team as needed to ensure a smooth operation
Other Farm Duties -
- Perform regular field walks to stay in touch with needed field projects, crop growth, and plant health
- Learn to analyze crop profitability in relation to labor investment to assist with making appropriate field decisions.
- Assist in crop planning efforts and development of organization systems and documents specific to crew management
- Ensure record keeping is performed accurately to ensure all necessary data is tracked for organic certifications and food safety records
- Perform necessary tractor operation
- Deliver Oxbow Produce as needed throughout the season
- Staff CSA Pick-ups, Farmers Market booths, and Oxbow Farm Stands
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned by the Farm Manager.
- Ensure Oxbow Farm objectives, strategies and messages are aligned with and supportive of Oxbow’s mission and strategic plan
- Work with all program teams to ensure efficient and effective communication and operations
- Represent Oxbow in a positive, professional manner, engaging with and educating visitors about Oxbow’s mission and programs
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned by the Farm Manager
- At least two year previous farming experience
- Small engine operation and experience operating tractors and implements preferred
- Competence delivering clear directions and project supervision to field crews
- Experience managing a team
- Excellent time management skills
- Consistent attention to detail
- Positive, energetic interpersonal skills and passion for mentoring new farmers
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity, and give/accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Clear, consistent communication skills
- Ability to work for long durations in inclement weather – standing, sitting, bending over, or kneeling
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMITMENT
Oxbow is committed to cultivating a culture of diversity and inclusion. We value the individual differences, life experiences, and knowledge that our staff members bring to their work and their communities. Valuing diversity is a significant part of our culture, our values, and the success of Oxbow’s mission.
Oxbow provides equal employment opportunities to all staff members and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Oxbow is committed to fostering a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.
This is a regular, full-time position, paying 16.50-17.50 DOE per hour with competitive benefits including: 100% employer paid healthcare, annual dental stipend, generous holiday, vacation and sick pay, and access to food from the fields.Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $16.50 - $17.50 Application instructions