Farm Crew Member Sin Fronteras Farm & Food
- Date Posted April 18, 2021
- Location Stockholm, WI
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
Sin Fronteras ( Without Borders in Spanish) Farm & Food
The farm began in the summer of 2014 on one acre of leased land near Stillwater, Minnesota. The first season we only had 1/2 of an acre in production and the rest in cover crop. We grew twenty different kinds of vegetables which were sold at the Linden Hills Farmers Market.
Now we are on our own 17 acre farm near Stockholm, Wisconsin with 3 acres in vegetable production using organic and sustainable farming practices. During our growing season we provide produce to local Twin Cities restaurants and grocery cooperatives. We also have a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program geared towards the traditional diets of the Latinx/Mexicanx community. We believe we are the first to market a culturally appropriate CSA to Latinx households in the Twin Cities and hope to continue to expand access to local foods for our communities with creative methods.
Now that we achieved our first goal of owning our own land our long term goal is to secure funding to build up a commercial kitchen for on farm dinners and become the first legit Taco Farm of the Midwest as well as produce tortillas, hot sauces, salsas and other value added products for our communities that will allow us to get closer to being a financially viable farm business which will allow us flexibility to start an incubator program for other Indigenous farmers and farmers of color and provide a retreat and learning center.Job description
We are hiring full-time farm crew member positions for 2021!
- Our employment opportunities are especially beneficial for, but not limited to, someone exploring or pursuing vegetable farming as a career. There will be opportunities for significant education on the farm as well as in conjunction with neighboring farms. Preference is given to qualified applicants who are interested in returning to the farm for an additional season or more.
- We will accept applications on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
- Sin Fronteras Farm & Food is a 17 acre farm with 3 acres of vegetable production using sustainable and organic practices. Located near Stockholm, WI, approximately an hour and 20 minutes or about 60 miles southeast of Minneapolis along the Mississippi River. The upcoming growing season will be our 8th season in production. We grow for approximately 120 CSA shares; several wholesale accounts (including local food co-ops and and a few restaurants).
- We are looking for dedicated and hard-working candidates that are self-motivated, organized, efficient and show attention to detail to help grow some of the highest quality vegetables around! Previous production farm experience is desired, but not required. This position is best suited for those seriously interested in farming as a profession. Sin Fronteras is a production farm and we have high standards of efficiency and pace, and expect you to be able to step up, move quickly, think ahead, and keep up. This will be a great place for people that want to work hard, learn the business of farming, and have fun in the process!
- candidates ideally have a vehicle to commute (not a deal breaker if you don’t) ; a positive attitude and able to regularly lift 40+ lbs; be interested in sometimes working side-by-side with other people and sometimes working outside in solitude in all types of weather and at times uncomfortable physical situations.
- Have fun while working hard
- Greenhouse work, seeding, weeding and transplanting
- Harvesting, washing and packing for CSA deliveries and wholesale accounts
- Cover cropping, irrigation and record keeping
- Involvement with potential Taco Saturday 2 Saturdays per month: selling and making tacos, marketing, display-making, and giving farm tours
- Upkeep of farm grounds
- Pay starts at $10/hr for the first season and flexible for experienced hands.
- Scholarships to farming conferences in off season.
- You also are welcome to harvest free produce from the farm. Housing is available and encouraged.
- Priority given to those applicants that want to work for multiple years. Training and support is available for the right candidate to take on more of a management role in future years. Meals are on your own or with other farm staff.
- Farm crew members must be able to stay for the entire duration of the season.
- The typical workweek is 7am – 5:00pm, Monday thru Friday (this can be flexible), with a 45 minute paid break for lunch.
- We are looking for candidates willing to work two Saturdays a month, staffing our on-farm market and Taco Saturdays. Hours can vary depending on weather, but usually range from 40-48 hours/week.
- Scholarships to farming conferences in off season
- Free honey and other add-on items from CSA
- Two 1 hour massages
- Crew shirt and hoodie
- Abundant produce from the farm
- Tractor work experience
- Connections to other farms to broaden their farm experience based on their interest
- Ability to take on more responsibility of certain aspects of the farm as the season progresses based on interest and abilities.
The Crew: The farm crew for the 2021 season will consist of Eduardo and 2 full-time seasonal farm crew members and 3 work share members.Compensation this position is : hourly Work visa This employer is willing to sponsor a work visa for international applicants Application instructions