Executive Chef - Social Enterprise Sweet Generation Bakery
- Date Posted June 25, 2021
- Location Bushwick, NY
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
About the PositionWe are looking for a dynamic, energetic Executive Chef to join our collaborative and talented team. The Executive Chef is responsible for the overall leadership of the kitchen, implementing SG values and standards from development through execution. Sweet Generation is in the midst of an exciting transition from our tiny 550sf East Village bakery cafe to a new 8,000sf headquarters space in Bushwick. This is an opportunity to co-lead this transition and shape the growth of the organization as we go through a large expansion.
Leadership & Kitchen Management
- Provide practical culinary vision to menu planning and recipe development. Build on current menu and program, create and implement menus focused on variety, seasonality, presentation and consistency, updating and improving as tastes and seasons change.
- Cultivate a positive culture and work environment focused on integrity, excellence, creativity, and accountability.
- Ensure efficiency and time management, proper aesthetic standards, excellent sanitation and safety, thorough product knowledge, demonstration of quality control, and professionalism.
- Prep, bake/cook, and package all products in conjunction with the kitchen team.
- Prioritize production schedules to ensure all production needs are met, problem solving and filling in gaps when staff fall behind and during periods of increased demand.
- Ensure seamless operations in the kitchen between retail/catering/wholesale; facilitate communication and troubleshoot between FOH and BOH.
- Maintain the highest level of excellence in food safety/sanitation and practices, training, and ongoing compliance with DOH/DOA health code and food safety regulations.
- Work with GM to resolve conflicts with customers, vendors, and staff.
- Supervise and coordinate special events and holiday logistics and profitability with the leadership team.
- Ensure continued optimal functioning of kitchen and bakery equipment.
- Foster relationships with existing and new vendors and suppliers, focusing on local food producers and sustainable/ecological supplies. Research & prioritization of developing partnerships with POC-owned businesses.
- Maintain precise inventory and purchasing systems with careful attention to food cost and labor budget goals.
- Manage budget with strategic purchasing and exemplary efficiency.
- Create and manage a kitchen production schedule.
- Manage labor and staff scheduling against budget and production needs.
- Act as the champion for SG standards, policies, and procedures.
- Supervise kitchen staff, jr. staff and interns; problem-solve around challenges.
- Lead team meetings on a regular basis.
- Provide ongoing feedback and encouragement for all BOH staff; identify ways to motivate, coach, and develop team members to achieve goals and increase efficiency; proactively addresses issues in alignment with HR.
- Balance production schedule with mentorship.
- Conduct performance reviews for BOH staff, setting and managing achievable goals.
- Ensure that training systems and processes are aligned to efficiently support the needs of the business.
- COVID-19: Ensure all staff and participants are practicing proper social distancing, mask-wearing, handwashing, and other appropriate precautions.
- Model company culture and standards; motivate, coach, and build trusting relationships with participants.
- Work collaboratively with the RISE program team to develop menus that teach fundamental culinary skills, and operations that teach fundamental kitchen skills.
- Collaborate with managers to integrate RISE participants and programming into operations. Develop kitchen training pathways for participants based on observed skills and assessments.
- Hold RISE accountable to all Sweet Generation policies, procedures, values and standards.
- Contribute to performance evaluations of RISE participants.
- Organized, precise, ambitious, and self-motivated. Positive outlook and self starter - able to see what needs to be done and do it.
- Systematic - Driven to create systems, establish structure, manage processes and achieve results.
- Resilient - Adaptable, flexible and tolerant of ambiguity and pressure. Impeccable follow-through.
- Excellent Communicator - Honest, clear, and effective communication skills.
- Sense of humor is a must. We like to have fun!
- Enjoys working with youth and training employees. Dedicated to team and staff development, fostering teamwork and team-building skills.
- Experience developing & running your own food business a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years kitchen management experience directly leading a diverse staff. Extensive pastry, knife, preparation and cooking skills. Culinary degree is preferred but not required.
- Flexible schedule, Food Protection Certificate, and ability to lift 50+lb bakery supplies.
- Proficient computer skills (MS word, excel, POS, Google Cal, social media, etc).
- English language proficiency is required, Spanish proficiency is highly valued.
- Pre-existing relationships with local food vendors a plus but not required.
Benefits & Perks
SG offers a comprehensive benefits package including Health, Vision, Dental, PTO, commuter benefits, FSA, One Medical free membership, Teladoc, fitness/class pass discounts, team appreciation events, and the birthday cake of your dreams.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions