Fall Seasonal Educator Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center +1 more
- Date Posted August 30, 2021
- Location Carnation, WA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
About Oxbow Farm & Conservation Center
Located on 240 acres of forest and grassland bordered by Western Washington’s Snoqualmie River, Oxbow’s mission is to inspire people to eat healthy, sustainably grown food and to steward our natural resources for future generations. We have recently adopted a ten-year vision to dramatically increase our impact and reach. We seek to become a vibrant hub for inspiration and learning, known for our creative and engaging year-round programming - a source for real-time practices that promote climate resilience and excite people to make choices in support of healthy food and a sustainable environment.Job description
OxEd Program Manager
Oxbow Education (“OxEd”) provides year-round farm-based educational programming for kids. We are seeking a Seasonal Educator to assist with education program delivery and farming tasks for the fall season, and to support Oxtober Festival family programs and attractions. This position would be a great fit for an energetic person with experience in outdoor education or children’s programming, a commitment to social and environmental justice, and a desire to perform farming tasks and connect children and families to their food through farm-based environmental education tours.
The Seasonal Educator position is Full-Time (30-40 hours per week). The preferred starting date for this position is September 7th, with the position ending November 19th. Primarily Monday-Friday with some weekend work, particularly through the month of October.
- Environmental Education: Deliver environmental/farm education programs to all age groups, including Fall Farm Adventures, farm-to-school activities and events, public education and seasonal festivals.
- Farming and Gardening: Assist with planting, sowing, weeding, mulching, harvesting, seed-saving and general maintenance and upkeep of OxEd infrastructure, 1-acre Kids’ Farm, and Living Playground.
- Other Duties: Perform other tasks as assigned in support of all Oxbow program and business areas, including but not limited to the production farm, conservation and restoration activities, and general operations.
- Proven knack for working with kids of all ages, primarily youngsters
- Exceptionally positive attitude
- Experience farming or gardening and/or a strong desire to learn
- Two-year degree or comparable experience in the area of agriculture, sustainability, food systems, education, or environmental studies
- Clear, consistent communicator; comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Ability to stay organized while juggling multiple time-sensitive projects
- Consistent attention to detail
- Ability to take direction, ask for help/clarity when necessary, and accept constructive feedback on work and technique
- Ability to perform work standing, sitting, bending over or kneeling, to lift heavy and awkward objects, up to 50 lbs. to perform physical work such as digging or planting, and to work in inclement weather
- A musical inclination, theatrical experience or any other sort of artistic expertise is a plus! Please make note of any skills you have in your cover letter.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMITMENT
Oxbow is committed to cultivating a culture of diversity and inclusion. We value the individual differences, life experiences, and knowledge that our staff bring to their work and their communities. Valuing diversity is a significant part of our culture, our values, and the success of Oxbow’s mission.
Oxbow provides equal employment opportunities to all staff members and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Oxbow is committed to fostering a racially diverse team. People of color are encouraged to apply.