Farm Manager Lydia's Fields
- Date Posted August 31, 2021
- Location Purcellville, VA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Lydia’s Fields is a 10-acre vegetable farm located in a dynamic, collaborative 400-acre farming community in Purcellville, Virginia. We cultivate multiple varieties of scrumptious heirloom tomatoes, hakurei turnips, arugula, lettuce, herbs, kale, peppers and many other vegetables, as well as figs, that thrive in our region with regenerative growing practices and market the veggies through direct and wholesale channels. Those include supplying a 50-member CSA (that we hope to increase to 120 members), selling at a weekly market in Falls Church, VA, and wholesaling to local restaurants and neighboring farms. We focus heavily on maintaining and restoring soil health and believe that fresh, tasty, healthful food comes by growing it in harmony with nature.Job description
Lydia’s Fields is seeking a seasoned, detailed-oriented, organized, and dynamic manager – a true leader – to execute all facets of daily farm operations. This thorough, thoughtful, and swift-moving manager will regularly engage in a variety of activities:
- Work closely with the farm owner on crop planning, selecting and ordering seeds and building soil health.
- Participate in the recruitment and hiring process for seasonal crew.
- Manage greenhouse operations, watering, temperature management, and supplies.
- Manage farm crew and fieldwork including bed preparation, seeding, transplanting, weeding, cultivating, and harvesting.
- Help maintain healthy soil fertility and manage pests.
- Use/apply organic (OMRI) pesticides and fertilizers.
- Work closely with the farmer/owner on marketing and bookkeeping.
- Direct fulfillment of harvest lists, ensure proper storage, and maintain produce quality.
- At least one year of management experience
- Minimum three full seasons of organic vegetable farming experience
- Experience scheduling and supervising crew
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Driver’s license and clean driving record
- Agility and willingness to pivot and prioritize based on weather conditions, scheduling needs, and market and sales timelines
- Either: Experience operating and maintaining equipment and implements or a willingness to invest time learning how to operate and maintain equipment
- Skills and experience that allow you to meet or exceed the previously listed responsibilities
- At least one year of management experience on a produce farm with four or more employees
- Interest in extended employment through the winter season and future years
- Experience operating and maintaining equipment and implements
- On-farm housing (small fee and signed living agreement required)
- $45,000 annual salary
- One-week paid vacation