Sustainable Ag Apprenticeship MSUE Tollgate Farm
- Date Posted January 04, 2022
- Location Novi, MI
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Summer Job
MSU Tollgate Farm is looking for two individuals interested in gaining experience in the world of small-scale agriculture to join our apprenticeship this season!
The apprenticeship is an intensive introduction into the field of small-scale vegetable agriculture, equipping participants with the knowledge, skills, and experience to build a strong foundation in the field.
Under the supervision of the Sustainable Agriculture Instructor and Production Manager, Apprentices will perform the tasks necessary to run a diversified vegetable production. These responsibilities include but are not limited to greenhouse seeding, cultivating (both hand and tractor-based), harvesting, transplanting, direct seeding, irrigating, pruning, and general tractor operating.
- Run weekly CSA Distributions, where we serve 200+ members as part of our 20-week Summer CSA and 150+ members as part of our 8-week Fall CSA.
- Engage with textual material in our weekly discussions to connect hands-on technical training to larger concepts necessary to understand the operation of a farm. Topics include Crop and Soil Science, Financial Literacy, Business Management, Marketing, Organic Pest and Disease Management, and Operational Management.
- Attend field trips to other farms to learn from different perspectives and growing techniques.
- Occasionally assist and interact with other educational programs on-site.
At the end of the season, the apprentices will have an excellent handle on the operation of the farm and will be ready to take the next steps in pursuing their career in sustainable agriculture.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous farming or gardening experience is not required.
- Demonstrated interest in sustainable agriculture and indications that this experience will inform your future work.
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities, and other differences to assist with program development and outreach.
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards.
- Applicants are expected to be physically capable as the job involves completing long stretches of strenuous labor in challenging working conditions; ability to lift 50+ lbs.
- Previous outdoor work experience.
- Applicants should have a demonstrated ability to listen to directions and execute them.
- Able to communicate effectively.
Michigan State University requires all students, faculty, and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. We follow all COVID-19 guidelines as set by the university.
this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr
Apprentice pay is $15 an hour, 40 hours a week. This is a seasonal position from mid-May to the end of October. We run a Monday - Friday schedule with occasional weekend and evening work. An early start is a possibility to help with spring planting. At this time, housing is not provided.