Sales Manager Cedar Circle Farm & Education Center +3 more
- Date Posted January 07, 2022
- Location East Thetford, VT
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
Cedar Circle Farm and Education Center is a certified organic vegetable, berry and flower farm located on conserved land along the Connecticut River in East Thetford, Vermont. In operation since 2000, the farm is approximately 60 acres total, with 35-40 acres in production each year. In addition to growing organic produce and flowers, Cedar Circle invites engagement from community members through our bustling Farmstand, Cafe, commercial kitchen, Education Center, and unique CSA program.
Cedar Circle is a non-profit, mission-driven organization, engaging the community to develop and share practices that promote regenerative agriculture, good health, and a resource-rich environment. We are committed to converting as much of our certified organic farm as possible to regenerative, organic methods. Our goals are to increase soil health, improve biodiversity in the soil, enhance the carbon flow, and produce the most nutritious food we can for our community.
At Cedar Circle, we believe in building community among neighbors and in fostering connections between people and the natural world. Through education, public programming, and by providing a space to gather and learn together, Cedar Circle cultivates connections among people, but also reconnects us to our agrarian heritage, reminding us of our relationship with natural ecosystems to nurture stewardship.
The Sales Manager works directly with all other department managers to identify and maximize our sales opportunities while maintaining the strong values and integrity that define our organization. The bulk of our sales are through our farmstand (open seasonally, May-October daily, then on weekends through the middle of December), which the person in this position manages on a daily basis, with the support of the Farmstand and Cafe Leads and seasonal sales staff. The Sales Manager also oversees the retail sales from our cafe, and farmers’ markets, coordinates and promotes CSA programs and wholesale accounts. This year, we are building an order and delivery program, which will also be coordinated by the Sales Manager, with support from a Market Lead. This person also provides guidance on marketing efforts in order to promote both sales, and our mission.
Sales Responsibilities Include:
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Vegetable, Annuals & Perennials, Kitchen, and Education managers to develop and implement comprehensive retail and wholesale sales plans.
- Provide leadership to and manage the day to day operations of the farmstand and cafe with support from department leads.
- Develop and retain a well-trained staff who are focused on superlative customer relations, and educating our community about our produce and products, as well as the overall mission of the farm.
- Oversee the development of farmstand displays merchandising, & point of purchase signage, in order to increase farmstand sales.
- Oversee the coordination of our CSA program with support from our Outreach and Engagement Coordinator
- Manage farmers market attendance with the Market Lead
- Supervise the packing and delivery of orders three times a week
- Maintain regular communications with all CSA members and other farmstand customers
- Manage and expand our wholesale market through communication with restaurants and other local markets
General organizational responsibilities
- Complete annual budget projections for sales; monitor and adjust on a monthly basis with the Executive Director.
- Actively participate on the management team to strategize and plan for future sales growth.
- Work to further the mission of CCFEC by increasing engagement and improving the quality of customers’ experiences.
- Support education initiatives and programs as appropriate (festivals, special events).
Required Skills or Experience
- Deep desire to build meaningful connections between our community and our diverse organic farm and education center.
- Proven experience in a successful sales environment engaging customers.
- Strong enthusiasm to work with a team to devise strategies to achieve sales goals.
- Comfortable working with numbers, metrics, and spreadsheets.
- A strong sense of aesthetics and the ability to create visually appealing retail displays.
- Up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in organic food sales.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm about organic and regenerative agriculture is a plus.
- Self-directed; highly motivated.
- Ability to work well with a diverse set of co-workers.
Desired Skills or Experience
- At least 3 years of sales management experience, with demonstrated success.
- Solid knowledge of Google analytics and SEO and CRM.
- Experience setting up and optimizing online ordering systems.