Ossining Winter Farmers Market Mgr Down to Earth Markets
- Date Posted January 21, 2022
- Location Ossining, NY
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Part-Time
Ossining Winter Farmers Market Manager
Part-time, $18/hour position available at our Ossining Farmers Market on Saturdays from 7am-2pm located in the parking lot beside Market Square at the corner of Main and Spring streets with additional flexible hours outside of market day for grassroots flyering and community engagement opportunities.
The Ossining Farmer's Market boasts a 30 year history in Westchester. A market with a rich history requires a confident, personable candidate who is ready to work with small businesses, has management experience, food experience and, while not required, is conversational in Spanish.
- Supervising daily operations to assure a smooth and safe running market
- Catering to vendors and the community in a timely, accommodating fashion
- Enforcing market rules and regulations to maintain an orderly, accommodating community space
- Collecting and reporting market data and success metrics
- Working with local community members to get a strong idea of what your market's specific needs are
- Setting up and breaking down the market manager tent and market signage
- Selling farmers market branded items
- Serving as a market host to welcome and engage shoppers, promoting good relations between vendors, our company, and the shoppers as a representative of Down to Earth Markets. Assisting shoppers and vendors with use of food access, food benefits and nutrition programs (SNAP, FMNP).
- Demonstrates competency in cross-cultural communication with shoppers, and vendors to report successes, concerns and opportunities to Down to Earth Markets.
- Representing the farmers market at community events as needed.
- Weekly conference calls with your fellow Market Managers and Operations Manager
Physical / logistical requirements:
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Bending and chalking spaces for vendors first thing in the morning
- Able to walk and stand for several hours at a time.
- Able to work in all weather conditions, e.g. heat, cold, rain, sun, wind, snow.
- Attend one annual Site Manager training digitally as scheduled.
- Complete two days of shadowing in conjunction with the market opening dates.
- Complete required grassroots flyering shifts during the course of the season.
- Arrive 1 ½ hours before the market start time to lead market set up and stay at least one hour past closing time to oversee breakdown and clean up.
- Communicate regularly with Operations and Marketing to ensure a steady flow of information between the office and the markets.
- Read weekly Site Manager Update, Shopper Email and other occasional communications.
- Receive and reply to last minute market updates relayed via e-mail, text or phone.
- Respond in a timely manner to communications from the office.
- Have use of a smartphone that can install and use Microsoft Teams, Business Suite (Facebook) and ADP Mobile for market-day communications and to post to Facebook.
- Access to reliable transportation.