Farm-Based Culinary Lead Farm on Central
- Date Posted January 18, 2022
- Location Carlisle, OH
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job type Part-Time
The Farm on Central is an 8-acre startup urban farm located in Southwest Ohio. We produce vegetables, flowers, mushrooms, fruits, horticulture greenhouse products, and value-added products. We have a heavy emphasis on community with lots of farm activities and events including our annual sunflower field. The Farm on Central is also an educational center and trial farm with its sister company Growing Farmers being located onsite.
The farm grows for our year-round on-farm retail store located on a 12,000 car a day road, Veggie Box Membership, home delivery service through Marketwagon, and wholesale to Grocery stores. The farm is GAP certified with organic certification coming spring 2022.
We believe that farming can be regenerative and profitable, that setting up your team for success with the right tools, systems, and processes will pay off in great efficiency, worker morale, and true sustainability. We believe that our people are our most important asset and are a part of our farm community.Job description
Currently, we are hiring for kitchen and general production help. This part to full-time position would be helping with harvest, washing, packing, processing, recipe testing, product prepping into the Dayton/Cincinnati area.
This would be a 10-40 hour a week job, which at minimum would just process and invent new delicious things in the kitchen, and at maximum, would split time between the kitchen and the farm. We pay competitively, and provide great farm-based benefits!
The Culinary Lead is responsible for much of the day-to-day operations of the farm. This would include but is not limited to:
- Developing the year’s value-added and processing plan and deciding what new products to try
- Sourcing supplies and glass for the production periods and making sure inventory is maintained
- Getting feedback from team and customers on products and tweaking as seen fit
- Developing new recipes and ideas to use the raw products that we produce on the farm
NOTE: this position can and may morph into full-time salaried as responsibilities and systems are learned.
Qualifications and Qualities
- 2-3 years of kitchen or horticulture experience with some management experience preferred
- Experience with working with local farms and seasonal menus
- Able to work within a dynamic, fluid, fast-paced environment
- Highly organized, and ability to think in a systems manner, and set up better processes.
- Long term commitment to the project
- Background checks may be performed, an exciting past is not an exclusion for working with our team. we ask applicants to be open to discussing any findings with us as we may have questions. We believe in grace, forgiveness, and second chances.
- Safe driving record
- Passion and interest in working/learning about small-scale, low-input, sustainable vegetable, flower, and herb production
- Self-starter, self-disciplined, goal orientated
- Comfortable working in a high profile environment with regular filming being done for educational purposes
- Ability to set own appropriate schedule, work effectively with minimal supervision
- Comfortable with kids and a family working environment
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Be in good physical condition, work in all weather conditions, and able to lift 60 lbs
- Ability to work in a potentially challenging environment and be adaptable
- Have transportation and be punctual
- Energetic nature and willing to have fun
- Attention to detail, experience building efficient systems, and record-keeping
- Outstanding communication (oral and written) skills; share and accept feedback in a team environment
- Providing exceptional customer service and assisting customers when needed.
- Hourly 15-20 depending on experience
- Farm profit-share and performance bonuses
- Free Access to farm-grade/seconds
- 15% Discount on all items at the farmstand
- Working at a one of a kind, cutting edge, and innovative farm and learning from the best
The Farm on Central is an equal opportunity organization. All applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions