- Date Posted April 06, 2022
- Location Brownsville, VT
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
At the heart of the store is our whole animal meat counter focusing on the preservation of meat through curing and smoking. Additionally, the market receives seafood native to New England waters, twice per week. The marketplace also offers a thoughtful selection of natural wine and craft beer. Seasonal produce, local dairy and artisan cheese further connect the marketplace to the region. A plentiful stock of groceries from daily necessity to epicurean novelties are a prominent area of growth and interest for residents and visitors.
The need for product utilization and to meet the growing demand for "Ready-to-Eat" food is represented best through our cafe, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our mission is to feed our community in the most sustainable and wholesome fashion.
Through the community of local farms, craftsmen and collaborators, the marketplace is pushed toward a goal of supporting constant engagement in central Vermont. We greatly value our employees contributions and feedback allowing the business to be molded into a forum of progressive concepts. Job description
We are looking for a passionate individual who strives to produce an authentic and thoughtful product. Our young but ambitious team is eager to invest in a knowledgeable baker who cares deeply for their craft and wants to share their contributions in a collaborative work space.
In more concrete terms, the responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Produce consistent products based on proven and tested recipes.
- Fulfill set-up par level based weekly and seasonal fluctuation.
- Rotate stock and ensure best quality at all times.
- Develop recipes with seasonal and market trend consideration.
- Accurately cost-out all recipes, and work closely with the management team to develop the sales strategy for baked goods.
- Assist in product procurement and ordering by relaying all needs to the kitchen buyer in a timely manner.
- Develop a wholesale line of products - such as pies, frozen cookies, and more - and methods of distribution.
- Actively participate in general kitchen sanitation, cleanliness, and organization.
The role is a baker, and we have developed a set of recipes that we regularly work with, but our ideal candidate is one with imagination and drive. Our closely-knit squad has a lot of experience, and with a smaller kitchen comes tremendous opportunity. We’re always looking to innovate, try new things, and practice new techniques.
Our business is relatively young, and we are constantly evolving. Some goals for the role include:
- Developing a rotating sweet & savory hand pie program.
- Curate recipes for the utilization of seasonal ingredients
- Build upon existing bagel/bread production with use of local grains.
- Collaborate with savory departments in producing diversity to ready to eat market offerings.
We love to encourage the curiosity and passions of our employees, and work to support professional development through additional training & classes. While we are looking for a dedicated individual, we also work very hard to provide a good work-life balance for our kitchen employees.
Working with us, there are also a few sweet perks:
- It’s a great team to work with
- You will get 15% off all products in the store/cafe, excluding alcohol
- The kitchen makes incredible food, which you’ll get to eat as a shift meal (and sample when they’re experimenting…)
- Carrier Roasting provides our coffee - it’s amazing - and the house drip is free to drink
- Our community really cares, and the regulars are just the sweetest
If you are interested in learning more about our business, or joining our team, please get in touch.Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions