Head Chef/Kitchen Manager The Spence School
- Date Posted June 23, 2022
- Location New York, NY
- Category Education
- Job type Full-Time
The Spence School in New York City is seeking a Head Chef/Kitchen Manager at our Middle/Upper School campus who will support and implement the school’s mission at all times. Since its founding in 1892, The Spence School has gained a national reputation for educating scholarly young women of the highest order. Our employees are compassionate, collaborative, and dedicated professionals who treat their students, colleagues, and supervisors with the greatest respect. They are committed to the highest level of personal and professional ethics, and they work to assure the emotional and physical well-being of our students.Job description
As a key member of the Spence community, the 91st street kitchen Head Chef works in collaboration with the Director of Food Services to promote a culture of health and wellness at Spence. This individual will help execute a daily food program that is consistent with the mission of the school and lead a team whose goal is to provide nutritious and delicious lunches for approximately 750 students and 250 employees. The Head Chef will manage all aspects of the daily food service program and assist in catering for school events.
The Head Chef is expected to maintain a pleasant, professional, and productive working environment as well as a welcoming atmosphere for the students and faculty. This individual will lead by example and promote a team approach by engaging team members through ongoing support, monitoring, coaching, and feedback.
We believe that our goal of academic excellence is intrinsically tied to the health and well being of our students. Our food program deepens the sense of belonging and inclusivity that is felt in our school, and celebrates the ethnic and religious diversity of the community. For students, time spent in the dining room reinforces the simple yet profound goals of learning from each other, respecting and valuing our differences, and building a joyful community, and the kitchen is an integral part of this experience.
The Head Chef is responsible for the following:
- Oversight of preparation, cooking, and assembly of all food at 91st kitchen
- Communicate daily with production staff on all food production activities
- Oversee menu development, purchasing and production for 91st kitchen
- Collaborate with food service director to provide catering services for meetings and events (including evening & occasional weekend events)
- Prepare meals for 412 satellite location as needed
- Adhere to all Food Safety Regulations
- Assist in hiring, training, and supervising of all kitchen staff
- Monitor food inventory and purchasing of food and supplies
- Ensure cleanliness of the kitchen, serving areas, and storage areas
- Ensure that all allergy and dietary restrictions are closely monitored and accommodated each day
Minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Culinary Degree
- 5+ Years experience in Contract Food Service Operation and High-Volume Dining
- Application and promotion of current food trends.
- Proficiency and growing knowledge of sustainable practices.
- Participative management style and excellent leadership skills.
- Highly collaborative and flexible leader who works well with others to achieve a common goal.
- Demonstrated experience cultivating talent, promoting an inclusive work environment.
- Knowledge of food safety (HACCP), sanitation, and overall workplace safety standards.
- Passionate about food and educating young people about nutrition.
- Engaging, friendly, and community-oriented.
- Highly organized and strategic thinker– capable of thinking about work flow and balance in the workplace.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions