Cheesemaker Jasper Hill Farm
- Date Posted August 04, 2022
- Location Hardwick, VT
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Jasper Hill is a leader in the artisan cheese industry. We are a mission-based company working to preserve Vermont’s agricultural soils and working landscape through farmstead cheese production. The Jasper Hill Family of Businesses (JFOB) includes two farms, two creameries, a cheese aging facility, as well as the sales and administrative team – all nestled into the rolling hills of Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom.Job description The Jasper Hill Family of Businesses operates two creameries, in addition to two farms and a state of the art affinage facility. The Jasper Hill Creamery in Greensboro Bend produces raw milk blue and Alpine-style cheese. The Food Venture Center Creamery located in Hardwick produces pasteurized soft cheeses. Jasper Hill cheesemakers and production staff work as a team to produce high quality and award winning cheeses that represent a taste of the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. The Seasonal Creamery Production role is fast paced and physically demanding, ideal for the person who finds satisfaction in crafting a delicious product that supports local agriculture and community. Time management, multitasking, effective communication and steadfast attention to detail are essential attributes of a production team member. This position often requires early mornings, late nights, and long days. A majority of the time is spent engaged in cleaning and sanitation of the highest standard. Production staff report to the Production Manager of their respective facility. As the cheesemaking season winds down, seasonal creamery production staff will transition to affinage work or mail order fulfillment according to business needs.
Core Duties & Responsibilities
- Utilizing, cleaning, and sanitizing all cheesemaking equipment according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Follow established protocols concerning food safety and quality in accordance with the Food Safety Plan and supporting documents. These tasks include maintaining site security, safe chemical handling, and following Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Use of pH meter, moisture analyzer, and other technical equipment.
- Record keeping to maintain cheesemaking database as well as food safety documentation.
- General cheese care includes brushing, turning, washing, receiving, and wrapping cheese.
- Supporting mail order and wholesale fulfillment, packaging boxes, building pallets, and preparing orders for delivery.
Skills & Physical Requirements
- Previous cheesemaking or food production experience is preferred, but not required.
- HACCP/HARPC, Food Safety Plan, or GMP knowledge is preferred, but not required.
- Attention to detail regarding safety, sanitation, record keeping and quality.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), email, and database entry.
- Interpersonal skills including communication and working collaboratively with a team.
- Ability (and desire) to work on your feet for long periods of time, including physical activities such as bending, lifting, twisting, stooping, pushing, pulling, raising arms and lifting above shoulders and head, climbing stairs and ladders, and operating heavy machinery.
- Ability to lift 60+ pounds, regularly.
- Ability to work in hot (90-95 degrees) and cold conditions (40-50 degrees) for extended periods of time.
Hours: Full Time, Part Time, Seasonal
Pay: From $18.00 per hour