Programs Manager Just Roots
- Date Posted September 15, 2022
- Location Chicago, IL
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Just Roots works in collaboration with communities to develop and expand access to local, sustainably grown food. We currently run two sustainable urban farms, located on Chicago’s southside and south suburbs. Our three core pillars are sustainable agriculture, education, and community building.
We are a young, growing organization that was founded in 2017 and volunteer-run until 2021. We are currently a team of six staff and eight board members, with invaluable support from a host of seasonal staff, interns, volunteers, and community partners. To learn more, visit https://justrootschicago.org/our-team/
Honesty, Authenticity, Empathy, Inclusion, Continued Growth, Respect
Community, Equity, Transparency, Collaboration, Regeneration, Joy
The Programs Manager plans and coordinates all of Just Roots’ core food access, education, and community building programs at both farms — The Saint James Community Farm (Bronzeville, Chicago) and It Takes A Village Community Farm (Sauk Village, IL). The Programs Manager works closely with and reports to the Director of Programs & Partnerships.
- Coordinates and leads the implementation of educational programs, including Fresh Food Farmacy, cooking demonstrations, health and wellness classes, sustainable agriculture workshops, etc.
- Coordinates and leads the implementation of all food distribution programs, including Community Supported Agriculture, Farm Stand, Fresh Food Farmacy, and donations to food pantries, mutual aid organizations, and public and senior housing facilities.
- Coordinates and supports individual and group volunteer opportunities.
- Performs administrative work on a regular basis, including email communications, data management, and support with grant writing and reporting.
- Works closely with the Director of Programs & Partnerships to develop and implement all key programs on an annual basis.
- Supports the visioning and development of new programs and partnerships.
- Supports farm operations 1-2 days/week, including seeding, planting, harvesting, etc.
- Supports the development of educational materials for programs.
- Supports farm events on an as-needed basis.
- Believes in Just Roots’ vision, mission, and values.
- An effective communicator who is energized by and skilled at initiating and leading conversations with community members and partner organizations.
- Committed to ongoing personal and professional growth.
- A self-motivated individual who’s able to complete tasks in an efficient manner and has strong organizational skills.
- Has at least 2 years of experience in food systems or urban agriculture and a strong working knowledge of local food systems.
- Has 3-5 years of experience leading or supporting organizational programs.
- Has experience working with Salesforce and/or other CRM platforms.
- Has reliable and consistent access to a car (we provide ileage reimbursement).
- Can work a Tuesday-Saturday schedule.
- Can work in outdoor weather conditions and move supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Lives in Chicagoland, preferably on the south side of Chicago or in a south suburban community.
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range is $35,568-$40,000. The ideal candidate is someone who is interested in growing with the organization. In addition to the above salary, we provide the following benefits:
- Regular professional development and opportunities for growth.
- A competitive health benefits package.
- A flexible schedule and hybrid work environment (2-3 days at home; 2-3 days on farm).
- 10 PTO days/year, along with two consecutive weeks off in late December/early January.
- Regular access to fresh produce from our farms.
- An inclusive team environment where we actively work to foster joy, mutual respect, and continued personal and professional growth.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Just Roots works affirmatively to provide equal opportunity among its workforce and does not discriminate in the selection of its staff on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, income, marital status, or any other dimension of identity. We strongly encourage applications from diverse candidates, particularly individuals from groups that have been historically under-represented, including but not limited to women, people of color, and immigrants (including individuals who were formerly detained, incarcerated, undocumented, or who have navigated the immigration legal system).
Compensation this position is : salaried, 35,568* - 50k Application instructions